Elizabeth Comiskey

MENTOR BIO

Rather than focusing on my writing in my undergraduate years, I studied religion and politics. I had to develop an interest in literature so I'd have something non-controversial to talk about at dinner parties. (Haha! Just kidding... Sort of.)

I jumped into blogging in 2010 and managed to get a syndicated gig through USA Today, but got tired of writing product reviews and recipes after a year or two. That was about the time that I discovered Nanowrimo and finished my first full-length novel. That novel (much revised and nearly doubled in length) became my first published work. It was the first in a three-book series with a micropress that focused on women who write speculative fiction. They picked up a fourth, stand-alone work as well.

In 2018, my story Curmudgeon won a Watty Award and I sold it as the first in a five-book series to Scarsdale Publishing—a midsized press in New York. They changed the title to Some Monsters Never Die, and printed it in 2019. So far books 1-4 are published and 5 will be released this coming year. They've asked for 5 more. We'll see...

2021 was an exciting year! I won a second Watty with The Widow Melody Scott which was then accepted into the Wattpad Paid Stories program and, later, released on YONDER as well.

In April of 2021, I won the Southwest Airlines Storytellers on the Rise contest. My entry, Alone in Tombstone, has been adapted into a short film by Tongal Productions and will be released this year.

I've had several stories featured on Wattpad, was an ambassador's pick in the 2019, 2020, and 2021 Open Novella Contests, and won the #SoloTravel contest sponsored in partnership with Marriott. I was part of the Wattpad Stars program for three years and have transitioned into the new Creators program.

When I'm not reading or writing, I'm tending to a brood of children, a dog, a cat, a snake, and two guinea pigs. My daughter and I do competitive chalk art events. She wins frequently. I never have. I love junk food, Supernatural, Converse sneakers, and all things Addams Family.

Read Elizabeth Comiskey's mentor wish list here eacomiskey

👆      👆      👆