Hook & Pacing Workshop

Welcome! We're glad you're here

Welcome! We're glad you're here. To kick off this year's workshop series, we're posting the details of our first workshop one week early so you can get started. Cool, right?!

This year we're focusing on a pair of essential writing techniques that are dear to our hearts - hook and pacing. Nailing the hook and keeping readers on the line from the first chapter is what we should strive for, especially on a platform like Wattpad.

If you're interested in joining us, we encourage you to read our chapters on Hook and Pacing. Even if you don't participate in the workshop, we hope you gain some insight from these helpful guides.

What is 'the hook'?

Hook - a dramatic action, a mysterious setting, an engaging character, or a thematic statement that draws in readers at the beginning of a story.

Hooking your readers is more than dropping them into an action scene. A hook can be the creak of a staircase step, the morning after a drunk text, a mailbox holding a package from an unknown sender. A hook makes your readers want to know what's going to happen next.

What is pacing?

Pacing - the speed at which a story progresses.

When there's action, readers expect the story's pace to be faster. When a character experiences a moment of reflection, a slower pace will allow readers to reflect with them. Balancing the right amount of fast and slow momentum can mean the difference between a bland story and a bestseller.

What to expect from our workshop activity:

You will find your homework assignment in the Hook & Pacing Activity chapter. You will have a week to prepare. When the workshop officially opens on March 20th, you can post the finished product in our #hook-pacing-workshop channel on Discord, or in the comment section of the Hook & Pacing Activity chapter.

You will receive feedback on your assignments from at least one Bootcamp Leader or Bootcamp Graduate. Please be patient as we make our way through the posts.

After you receive feedback, you will have the opportunity to post a revision. When responding to a revision, don't forget to tag the person who provided the original feedback. PLEASE, NO MORE THAN ONE REVISION.

Feel free to provide feedback on other people's work, but we ask you to be constructive and kind. Think of the type of feedback you would like to receive.💖 Remember to keep off-topic conversations in the #general-chat-all channel.

The last day to get the assignment in is March 24th, however, revisions will be managed throughout the weekend.