ReAnne Kennedy

MENTOR BIO

First and foremost, I would like to begin by acknowledging that the land on which I am writing from is the traditional, ancestral, unceded territory of the Syilx (Okanagan) Peoples. I come with respect for the land that I am on today, and for the people who have and do reside here. I also acknowledge the land on which everyone is viewing this bio from.

I was born and raised in West Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. My heritage is Scottish and Cree, making me a Métis citizen of. the land now known as Canada. I'm a graduate student with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Geography, but am heading to grad school in September! My studies will relate to geography, but mainly focus on Indigenous Peoples and modern treaties, and their association with land and water in/security.

Writing has always been one of my favourite hobbies, and has recently become a more prominent part of my life thanks to Wattpad. When I first started writing, I focused mainly on Young Adult, but have now switched to New Adult/Adult Romance. I've been a Wattpad Star and currently have two stories in the Paid Stories Program. In 2022, I joined the Wattpad Creators Program and have since finished my story "The Zamboni Driver" for it. Additionally, I've won one Wattys award ("Bending the Rules") and been short-listed twice ("The Florist and the Pastry Chef" and "The Truth About Forever"). Most of my stories are set in Canada and have a serious case of slow-burn. Aside from my stories, I've also been writing a lot of poetry.

My writing process, as a pantser, is quite chaotic, but I know one thing: I always need music to write a good scene. And most of that music is Taylor Swift (especially her newest album, Midnights). Other artists include: Arkells, Halsey, Noah Kahan, Lights, and All Time Low—to name a few! Music always helps me set the mood for whatever scenes I'm writing, whether it be sad, happy, or bittersweet.

Some of my current favourite reads are Too Wrong to be Right by Melonie Johnson, An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir, The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon, and Babel by RF Kuang.

Because of school and work, I haven't been watching too many shows, but one I refuse to miss out on is Yellowjackets. Ever since the pilot episode, I've been obsessed with that show. For movies some of my current favourites include: Shrek, John Tucker Must Die, Safe Haven, Spirited Away, and 10 Things I Hate About You.

When I'm not writing a million stories at a time, I'm outside exploring the dense forests of BC or dirt biking or lounging at the beach with a good book in my hands.

Read ReAnne Kennedy's mentor wish list here reannekennedy17

👆      👆      👆