Chapter Thirty Five

How strange is life?

It allows you to feel the joys of being happy? To gaze at what life you could have. To throw never-ending bliss right in front of you. And yet, at the same, rips it all from underneath your feet. Dangles it in the air, laughing as you try with all your might to get it back.

If there was a God, he was a cruel man with a sick sense of humor.

"Dad?" Charlotte's voice broke through my thoughts.

"Yes, Charlie?"

"It's time." His voice had changed.

It wasn't the voice of a child. It had become the voice of a boy becoming a man. Even his appearance had changed. he no longer looked like an innocent child. He looked like a warrior. Like a soldier with a mission.

Almost everything about the once young, happy Charlotte had changed. Now he was serious, strong. He wouldn't cry or whine. When he trained or fought, all that was there was bloodlust. My once adorable son had become a cold hard killer.

"Dad? Are you okay?" Charlotte asked, touching my shoulder.

I looked into my son's glowing red eyes and sighed. He looked so much like his mother. Every time I saw his eyes, my heart shattered more. For fourteen long years, we searched for her.

But we couldn't find a single thing. I still haven't given up hope that she was alive. I knew she was out there somewhere, waiting. And so did Charlotte.

I felt a shiver run down my spine as the one man I grew to hate walked into my room. He looked at me with his soulless eyes and smirked.

"What the hell do you want?" I spat, angrily.

"Relax, son. I've only come to give my best wishes to my grandson. This is a big day for him." My father said.

Charlotte simply nodded to his grandfather and looked back at me. I smiled half-heartedly. I honestly did not want my son to do this. I wanted him to stay here where I could watch him.

But it was not my decision to make. Charlotte was coming of age and that meant he had to go off on his own.

I shook my head as i glared at my father. I tried my hardest to be as polite as possible. Charlotte didn't like when we fought.

"Father, if you don't mind, I would like to speak with my son in private." I muttered.

"Of course. Good luck out there, Charlie. Make me proud." He said, as he turned on his heel and left.

I looked at Charlotte and he sighed. He knew how much I was against this. He knew exactly why I was against it, but he still wanted to go. He thought it would give him a better chance to find his mother.

I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him tightly. I was so afraid of losing him too. Charlotte chuckled.

"I'll be fine, Dad. I swear. But this is what I want. Before I come of age and receive my birthright, I want to at least try to find her."

"I know, son. I just know what its like out there. The world isn't as easy as it seems. There are things far worse that what we deal with in here."

"I know that. But how will I ever be able to replace you if I don't experience these things on my own?" He asked.

I sighed in defeat. "You definitely are your mother's son. Just be careful, Charlie. You know how to contact me if you ever need help."

"I know, pops. Don't worry. A year will fly by and I'll be back soon."

I smiled at him as he made his way to the front entrance. My boy was growing up faster than I hoped. Now he was going to face the world on his own.

I just hope that he can find her, before anyone else does. She can help him in ways that neither Krystal nor myself could. She's the one that can save him. The only one.

She's the missing piece.

His other half.