Chapter Nineteen - Perrie

I wake up late the next day.
As if my subconscious had listened last night, I stayed up thinking of Chan for hours.
I had such a nice day that my thoughts couldn't let go of it, it seems.

I start slowly, taking my time in the shower, cleansing hair and skin.
When I've done my makeup and slipped into my most comfortable overall, I tie up my hair with a silk scarf and gather my things to leave the house.
I have a lot to do today after giving myself time away from the studio yesterday.
The painting doesn't finish itself, after all.

Just when I open the door to the atelier and turn on the lights, my phone rings.
It's not a number I have saved.
"Hello, this is Perrie Becket," I say after accepting the call, "Whom am I speaking to?"
"Ah, so nice to catch you! My name is Bai Lester," someone responds in a very friendly, very happy tone of voice. "I'm the Director of the MMCA here in Seoul."

The National Museum for Modern and Contemporary Art.
One of the oldest, most popular, most prestigious art museums in the entire country.
I've been there a million times over the past years.

Bai Lester continues, "I saw your work online and I must say I'm a huge fan! The museum is currently working on a new project and I think you'd be a perfect fit."
I have to sit down.
I blindly feel for a chair or a box to sit down on, but I can't find anything so I sit down on the floor.
I swallow thickly and close my eyes. I don't want to miss a single word he says.
"The theme of the project is 'Upward and Onward' and it concentrates on modern artists, who could make some waves in the art community. We're looking to exhibit fresh, new, upcoming artists. People like you."

I am out of breath.
I press a hand to my chest and search for words, but there aren't any on my mind.
Bai Lester says finally, "We would love for you to come in and have a chat with us, get a feel for the deal and all that. Are you free tomorrow at 11 am?"
"I-..." I stumble over my own words and can barely contain my excitement. "Yes! Yes, of course! I have time whenever!"

Bai Lester chuckles.
"Great," he answers, "Then I'll see you at 11 at the Museum. Just ask for me at the reception and someone will bring you to the office."
"Okay, I'll be there. Thank you so much for this opportunity. I-..."
He hangs up.
I let the phone sink and blink slowly.

This can not be real.
Or can it?
A joyful screech escapes me and I jump up, tapping my feet excitedly, as I run over to my finished paintings.
Are these what they want me to exhibit?
For a moment, my emotions overwhelm me and I don't know what to do with myself.
I wish I could call my mom.
I wish I had someone to tell.

But I do have someone to tell.
Gloria and Ji.

I'll tell them tonight. They'll be over the moon, I just know it.
They've seen me at my worst when I thought I would never amount to anything. They know how much this means to me.
They were there when no one else was.

And now, I do have someone else to tell.
I have Chan.
I take out my phone and send him a message, telling him to come by this afternoon and that I have great news.
And then I turn towards the painting covered with a bedsheet leaning against the wall.
It's time I get to work, the boys need their painting done.

I spend hours tirelessly working away at the Straykids painting.
I'm covered in paint when I take a break to get food from the downstairs chicken shop, but I don't rest for long.
I am so incredibly pumped with energy that I feel giddy and slightly dizzy, like the joy might just explode out of me any second.
I feel like my insides are vibrating.

I have waited years for a chance like this.
All the paintings, all the work, all the heartbreak. It's finally paying off.
This could be my chance to break through the ceiling. It could be my chance to make a mark.
I can not let this slip away.

It's past five when Chan finally arrives at the atelier.
I buzz him in and stand back, waiting for him to come up.
He peeks his head through the door first, before opening it and stepping inside.
"Hey there-..."
He doesn't get very far.
I cross the space and jump into his arms, wrapping my own around his shoulders.

He laughs, surprised, and places his arms around my middle, holding me up steadily.
I pull up my legs and wrap them around him as well, until I am clinging to him like a koala to a tree.
"What's going on?" Chan finally asks but I can't answer right away.
We're chest to chest, all wrapped up in each other, and my face hidden in the side of his neck.
He smells incredible.
And he's so strong.

I finally bend back to look into his face and say, "I got a call from a museum this morning. They're considering me for an exhibition."
"What? Perrie, that's incredible!"
Chan twirls us around, pressing me to his chest again as his hands wander beneath my legs to keep me steady and in the right position.
"Oh, I'm so proud of you," he murmurs into my hair, "I know you worked so hard for this. I am so, so happy for you!"

I chuckle, but I'm close to tears.
His words are exactly what I wanted to hear. It feels so good to be known like this, it feels so good to have someone feel this way about me.
I can tell he is genuine. I can tell he means it.
And, God, in that moment I can't help myself.
I cup his face with my hands and press my lips to his.

He responds instantly.
First, he sighs, as if the kiss is giving him the same release it's giving me.
And then he opens his mouth for me to explore him deeper.
His lips are so soft. He tastes like mint and something sweet.
My hands slip from his face to his shoulders, my fingers start exploring his clothes, his body.
So do his.
I can feel his hands glide from my thighs to my ass, can feel him pull me closer as he hooks his hands into the back of my knees to scoot my up.

I can feel him move, and then there's the frame of a door in my back to help him hold me up.
His fingers slip into the decorative belt hooks of my overall and he chuckles.
"You just had to wear the one piece of clothing that makes it impossible for me to properly touch you, huh?"
I grin and whisper back against his lips, "What can I say? I'm not that easy."
Chan smiles back at me, almost wolf-like, and kisses my neck.
I let my head fall back against the doorframe and sigh.

My heartbeat is racing and his soft kisses along my jaw, my collarbone, my neck are not making it any easier.
A deep groan escapes me when he pushes his hips forward and angles one of his legs beneath me.
When Chan finds my lips again, we're both out of breath.
I open my eyes as we break away and find him looking at me with flushed cheeks and almost glazed over eyes.
He swallows thickly and looks away bashfully, chuckling as I unwrap my legs from his waist and drop to the floor between him and the doorframe.

"We should-... uhm-..."
He motions around in search of words but I take his hands into mine and press small kisses to his knuckles.
"I know what we should do," I say, "We should celebrate this. I have a meeting with the museum tomorrow, and if everything goes well, we should go out!"

Immediately, he tenses up and I can feel him pull away.
"Perrie, you know I can't-..."
I pull him in by his hands and press another kiss to his soft cheek.
"I know," I say, "But what would you say if I know a way we could go out without having you end up in pictures? I have a plan. Do you trust me?"
Chan narrows his eyes but nods carefully.
"I do trust you," he says.
I nod encouragingly.
"Good," I wink and pat his chest, "So Friday night, two days from now, you, me, and the boys, are going out. I'll send you the details tomorrow. I promise it'll be fun."