Chapter 69-Fighting the Plague

CHAPTER 69

     Many of the citizens of Aldin are beyond healing as Sparx begins her triage assessment.  Indeed, the disease, though not transmittable to the intrepid pixie, devours its human host with such a voracious appetite that if treatment is not administered within minutes of the symptoms arising, then all hope is lost.

     Though the horror of what she is witnessing could easily distress the little being into a panicked state of shock, Sparx knows that she cannot falter if she is to persevere in her endeavors.

     She spots a little girl who is crying almost in hysterics, no doubt having recently lost her parents to the grisly virus.  As Sparx flutters up to the distressed child, the girl starts into a fit of sneezing and coughing.  Quickly, the pixie lays her healing hands upon the girl.  Her skin is hot to the touch and Sparx knows that time is of the essence.  The disease will soon ravage the poor child's immune system and her organs will falter shortly thereafter.

     Much like summoning her ability to teleport, Sparx closes her eyes and envisions the outcome of her efforts.  In her mind she sees the little girl healthy and playing in a grassy field.  The pixie wishes for the child to be healthy and tells the bad germ to go away.  As the tiny, winged person calls upon her magic, the pixie dust that always surrounds her gathers at her head and shoulders and swarms the length of Sparx's arms.  As the glowing substance reaches her hands and fingertips, it starts to dissipate into the child's body.

     Abruptly, the girl's symptoms begin to subside.  Her feverish flesh cools to a normal temperature.  One last fit of sneezing and a great cough of finality expel forth a small mass of sandy spores that immediately disperse on currents of air away from the inhospitable host.

     The child's eyelids begin to flutter and open.  The eyes focus on the glowing pixie before her and then the little girl smiles.

     "Will you be my friend?" the child inquires of Sparx.

     The little pixie responds with her own smile.  Sparx knows that she has much work to do and so places her tiny palm on the girl's temple and transmits a vision of herself hurrying about the city and aiding other people as she had done for the girl.

     "Ok.  Go help everybody you can," replies the little girl, still beaming up at the floating pixie.

     Sparx smiles warmly once more at her first patient of the night, then looks about to assist the next person she can find.

***

     Nick and Drake soar up to the small band of dragons and riders that comprise The Enforcers of Aldin.  The overwhelmed six pairs are scurrying about flaming herds of walking dead before they can assail any more of Aldin's frightened citizens.

     "Drake, contact Geldar and let him know that his and the other riders are in danger of contagion.  Have them conceal their mouths and noses with the protective hoods of their riding jackets," Nick shouts to his dragon as they close in on Sebastian and Geldar.

     Geldar, Sebastian and the other riders are in danger!  Have them conceal their lower faces with the protective masks of their riding jackets.

      Understood Drake.  Relaying message now.

     Soon the Enforcers of Aldin have taken the necessary precautions against the now airborne pathogen.  The riders all have the hoods of their jackets down with the protective lower face mask in place.  Though the City of Aldin does not suffer the arctic winds of Boldever Mountain in the north, all Dragonriders' jackets are tailored to endure the harsh conditions of the northern continent.

      Thank you, Drake, for saving the life of my rider and those of the rest of The Enforcers.  I have just received word from Neoferno that he and the battalion of black dragons from the Dragon Isles are nearing Aldin Bay as we speak.  I have relayed the message to them as well.  Your warning has saved many lives, Geldar thinks to Drake.

     I am glad that the Riders will be protected from at least that aspect of danger.  We have a pixie friend who is attempting to heal some of the afflicted citizens that have not already perished from the virus.  She has a father that has gone to retrieve more of their kind to assist in saving the lives of the citizens of Aldin, replies Drake.

      Pixies?  You and your rider keep very interesting company, Drake.  Still, we are grateful for all the help we can get.

     One more thing Geldar..

      Yes?

     I believe that we are inadvertently responsible for unleashing this plague in its current airborne transmittal.

      How so?

      Nick and I believe that the disease is contained within the bodies of the zombies attacking the city.  We noticed that after incinerating the animated corpses that people downwind were becoming violently ill.  It seems that the disease survives our fiery breath and is released to be carried upon the currents of air – seeking out a new host body to destroy.

      Great Pyronius!  I will alert Sebastian at once as well as inform the rest of the black dragons not only of my command, but also those about to arrive from the Dragon Isles.

     Good idea.  Need to find another way to contain this zombie threat that will not further endanger the inhabitants of your troubled city.

******

     Flashes of lightning discharge from the writhing anvil head of cloud formation that is slowly creeping upon the well- lit City of Aldin.  From the view from the skies above the Bay of Aldin, the troubled metropolis appears to have entire neighborhoods consumed in gas-driven fires.  Great jets of flames still shoot into the air from the broken stems of the gas lamps lining the streets and boulevards.

     The battalion of Black Dragons from the Dragon Isles is a hundred strong.  The enormous beasts swarm over the calm waters of the bay in their signature seven dragon per wing formations.

     Neoferno and Dontessa head the command wing which in turn forms an enormous spear head as all the subsequent wing formations flank their leader to either side and sweep back.  To witness the battalion entering Aldin airspace, visually, appears as a massive triangle comprised of smaller triangles.

     Dontessa, I have just received word from Geldar, constable of the Enforcers of Aldin.  There is an airborne plague ravaging the city.   You and all the rest of our Riders are to conceal your faces with the protective riding gear of your jackets.

      What the devil is going on there?

     The dragon lady shares her telepathic inquiry with Neoferno, but obliges the precaution and draws up her hood – securing the lower face mask.  Neoferno, for his part, continues to relay the message to the rest of his command wing and also to the leader of each subsequent wing.

     The mighty black dragons swoop down to the Port District and start to advance upon the areas of disturbance.  Each Dragon and Rider takes a street to defend as the insurgence begins.

      Tybur, do not flame the zombies!

  Repeat, no incineration.  Our intel says the disease contained within the living dead becomes airborne when the flesh is consumed by fire.  Pass this along to the ranks, understand?

     Yes, Neoferno, sir!