Chapter 32-Interrogation Techniques

CHAPTER 32

     Koalpans are everywhere.  Some of the human occupants of the lodge are engaged in conversations with the bear-like creatures.  An old, skinny man with long, grey hair is kneeling over one of the dead crows.  He looks as if he is mourning its death.

     Nick and Drake are once again perched upon the roof of the lodge surveying the scene below.  They note with despondence the party of Koalpans at the open door of the tree stump barn.

     "This is impossible!" Nick exclaims in hushed tones.

      So much for sneaking back unnoticed, thinks Drake.

     An enlightened expression forms on Nick's face.  He smiles and pats Drake's neck.

     "I think I've got an idea," he says.  Then adds, "Let's go down there and face them...And let me do the talking."

     Ummmm – but I can only talk to you anyways...

     Nick regards his companion appraisingly, turning his mouth down and nodding his head.  He replies, "Right.  Well, that settles that, then.  Come on."

     The two swoop down from the roof and land solidly on the ground.    Their dramatic entrance generates many gasps from the crowd milling about the crime scene.

     The old man that is now holding the bloody, black bird, recoils smartly at the sudden appearance of the green dragon and rider.  Among the commotion of all the others present, he takes his deceased crow and backs away.

     "Cheecha Wow!" yells a startled Koalpan.  Clearly, dragon sightings are not an everyday occurrence here.

     The crowd of Koalpans huddles together, visibly trembling.  Some hold torches; others have crude, wooden spears with stone tips.  None venture toward the beast whose mass is greater than theirs combined.

     The innkeeper is amongst the Koalpans gathered.  He points a furry finger up at Nick and yells, "Ha!  Tinka roo!"

     "Ooooooo," is the general consensus from the other Koalpans.

     Drake lowers his head, his glowing eyes swirling in the night.

     "Uhhhh!" yell the Koalpans and they all step backwards toward the lodge.

     Nick dismounts and holds up his hands at chest level in a reassuring manner.  He glances sideways at Drake and pats the dragon's snout as he proceeds towards the startled Koalpans.  A few of the spear bearers jab at the air threateningly.  "OO!  OO!" they grunt.

     "Easy," Nick says cautioningly.  "Easy now.  That's right.  Friend," he says pointing to himself.

     The Koalpan innkeeper points toward the multitude of dead crows and the burnt remains of a vampire and says, "Kaw mm da."

     "Yes, it's alright," Nick replies softly, still with hands at chest level and slightly outstretched.  "I am a Dragonrider.  I have been tracking vampires from the City of Aldin."

     The Koalpan eyes him suspiciously and then points to one of the dead birds and kicks it.  "E Kaw?" he asks.

     Nick regards the many crow corpses strewn about and then returns to the Koalpan's gaze.  He replies, "The birds were under a spell.  You have a guest here that arrived with one, yes?"

     At this, the furry creature turns to some of his curious comrades.  He mutters something in a low voice.  The others nod in understanding.  They begin to turn about, scanning the human guests who are still standing around, looking rather frightened.