Chapter 54-Two Separate Attacks

CHAPTER 54

     The huge hangar of Highland Den is crowded and cramped with dragons and riders hurrying about, preparing for departure.

     Valkyr is prepping Bjorgon while Richard is next to the pair attending to Xavier, who dwarfs the Burgundy dragon.

     Richard seems to be invigorated by the call to arms.  He shouts to Valkyr above the hustle and bustle about them, "Seems like old times, eh Valkyr?"

     It was nice to see the improved mood of his uncle, though Valkyr was much more wary of the situation they were about to embark upon.  Still, he manages a weak smile for Richard's sake and nods in acknowledgement of his elder's eagerness and need to be needed.

     Just then, another bugle from the watch dragon overpowers the din and buzz of the assembling dragons and riders.

     Richard and Valkyr frown in concentration as they receive a new message from their dragons.

     "My God!" exclaims Valkyr.  "The City of Aldin is under attack as well!"

     He turns to Richard to meet the Talon Claw leader's gaze.

     "Never ya' mind that, nephew.  I'll have my riders from the Dragn' Isles tend t' that!  They're much closer than us and faster than any dragn' from Highland to boot!  Me and my wing'll stay the course with you and yours, Valkyr.  If'n when we finish up in Port a'Frios, and if m'boys from Talon Claw need a helpn', then we can travel the Eastern Sea t'Aldin.  Meantime, we got our own job t'do!"

     "Of course, uncle.  That makes sense," concedes Valkyr.

     Two separate attacks on two different human cities, coordinated at virtually the same time.  Valkyr wonders what mischief the vampires are up to.  He is apprehensive, too, of the knowledge that they could be facing another giant flock of birds.

     At least Lyra and Skyhalla will be safe here at Highland Den...