Chapter 17-Drake's Memories

CHAPTER 17

     As Drake follows Nick and Sparx through the large, redwood barn doors, he has to duck his head to clear the threshold. The giant tree stump is more than adequate in diameter; it was cut leaving clearance enough for its intended purpose.  It was not designed to house dragons.

          Drake makes a disgruntled growl as he notices the low ceiling skimming his already lowered cranium.  His glowing red eyes darken in irritation and he compensates by lowering his head a little more.

      "It's just til' tomorrow night, Drake," Nick explains to his cramped friend.  "It's the biggest room they had."

      You're not the one who's going to get a stiff neck. 

     "Beats being outside when the sun comes up.  I think that might be a little more painful than a few sore muscles," Nick retorts.

     Sparx is fluttering about the circular barn on the opposite side from the door.

     Once Drake's massive body and tail are entirely on the inside, Nick moves to the large barn doors and peers about outside.  He then proceeds to close and latch the protective barrier.

     Drake finds a suitably sized pile of straw to the left of the doorway and against the circular redwood wall.  He steps onto the relatively soft substance and kneads it with his front paws.  Satisfied with the straw passing this test, Drake performs an odd walk in a tight spiral, trying to find the ideal position in which to lie.  In doing this, his head catches up with his tail and the dragon settles down on his makeshift bed, resting his chin on the half-way point of his serpent-like tail.

     Drake half hoods his eyelids and contentedly gazes upon Nick as the adolescent vampire turns from securing the door.  He sees the determination in the boy and knows that he is lucky to have such a strong rider, despite the circumstances in which they were brought.

     Happiness is a simpler concept for dragons.  Having a rider - their life partner - gives them a constant sense of belonging.  As long as they both shall live, a dragon will never know loneliness.  Add to that a full belly and a warm place to sleep and a dragon will think it is in heaven.

     Even being a vampiric dragon, Drake still tended to adhere to the draconic norms, the main difference being the thirst, which can be overwhelming when it hits.

     Looking fondly upon his life-linked rider, Drake recalls his decision to have the  boy transform him into a vampire also.

     Drake had brought Nick to his home at Highland Den when he was very young.  It had been highly unusual for a dragon to be hatched without its rider being born within Dragonkind.  So, when Drake had developed enough to fly on his own, he had gone on his quest to find Nick.

     All of Dragonkind had been ecstatic to see the young dragon return with the boy.  Everyone welcomed Nick with open arms.  The boy had been understandably distraught over being sent away by his mother.  It took some time for him to take to these new surroundings.

     The midwife of Highland Den, Hilga, had tried to fill the void for Nick.  She was a large, plain looking woman, but she loved children.  It did not take Hilga long to learn of Nick's special dietary needs.

     Alarmed at first, Hilga nearly told the boy's secret.  After all, vampires were the scourge of the world and dragonkind was sworn to destroy them.  But one look in Nick's innocent eyes, and Hilga knew that she could not betray his newfound trust and dependence on her.

     Drake had also been constantly by the boy's side, trying his best to fill the vacancy in Nick's heart.  The young dragon kept a watchful eye on Hilga, not really understanding the full ramifications that would be incurred if Nick's true identity was to be discovered.