Chapter 50-Call to Arms

CHAPTER 50

     Most everyone has cleared from the dining hall as the hour is growing late.

     Valkyr and Richard remain at the table sharing stories over mugs of ale.

     "Ah, Valkyr, I still miss her so," Richard confesses in a partially inebriated haze.  His eyes go out of focus for a moment as he fumbles for his drink.  Another swig is taken and he re-focuses on Valkyr, who is still seated next to him.  He claps his nephew on the shoulder clumsily and continues, "My Nakira, she t'was one in a million, I tell ya'.  Gone – killed by the cursed vampires.....and our unborn baby..." Richard starts weeping and then, "I neva' knew if t'was to be a lad or a lass."

     Valkyr hates to see his uncle in this state.  He remembers a different man.  A man that had a zest for life.  A fearless leader that everyone admired.

     It was shortly after the loss of Queen Gemini, and Nakira (the queen's rider and Richard's mate), that the man stepped down from running the dragon wings of Highland Den.  He became consumed with hatred toward the vampires and decided to start an elite battalion of black dragons, the strongest of the strong and most feared of their kind.

     He founded Talon Claw, in the Dragon Isles and brought in all the deadliest dragons he could recruit.  The young riders of fledgling black dragons were eager to join his ranks as they and their dragons reached maturity.

     The queen's death had changed dragon society.  They had come perilously close to extinction.  A single princess remained.  Her and her rider were very young at the time and would not produce a clutch for many years to come.

     Skyhalla and Lyra became Dragonkind's last hope.

     Valkyr is consoling his uncle, when both men sit bolt upright at the bugle of the watch dragon.

     The telepathic message was sent from Port of Frios, directly to the Watchdragon.  His bugle down the thermal vent warns all of Highland Den simultaneously.

     The two men scramble from their seats and race out of the dining hall.