Chapter 37-Pop

CHAPTER 37

     Drake releases Finnigan roughly to the ground at the feet of the gathered Koalpans.  The short, furry creatures still back up apprehensively in the presence of the enormous dragon.

     Drake flaps his wings once more and then settles to the ground, sending a small puff of dust from the dirt in the process.

     Nick hops down from the saddle and regards the Koalpans, who are now looking eager to seize the skinny old man.  "He is my prisoner.  I must take him back to the City of Aldin tomorrow to face his charges."

     The bear-like creatures murmur amongst themselves at Nick's statement.  Koalpan lands are sovereign within the land of Aldin, however, the victims of the attack were human – no Koalpans were injured.

     After seeing the nods and general agreement from the others, the innkeeper (whom Nick was starting to wonder if was also mayor), nods as well and says, "Shaw."

     Nick removes some rope from his knapsack and binds Finnigan's wrists behind his back.  He motions to the tree stump barn and gets a scowl in response from the Crow Master.

     Nick gives him a shove in the intended direction and Drake growls menacingly at the old man as well.

     At this, the Koalpans back away and part from the path they have been blocking.

     Finnigan gives the same look to the dragon but proceeds to walk toward the large, redwood stump.

     The dragon and rider follow closely behind and the Koalpans watch on, whispering in their primitive language.

     Once inside, Nick closes and latches the big door while Drake guards their captive.  Finnigan sits down against the wooden wall facing the two that had bested him.  He does not say anything, but his eyes smolder with contempt.

     Nick finds some more rope in the barn and fastens it securely around the old man's ankles.

     "Just in case you get any bright ideas," Nick explains with a smug smile.

     Drake settles back into his straw bed, still facing Finnigan and allowing a few puffs of smoke to escape his nostrils as a reminder of some of the dragon's other abilities...

     Nick had just started to remove the saddle from Drake when...

     Pop!

     Sparx and another pixie appear in midair, with twice the usual glitter falling about.

     "Huh?" Nick exclaims, wheeling on his heels at the sound.

     I knew she'd come back.

     "Sparx!" Nick cries, a heartfelt smile on his face.  But there was more.  He looked relieved.

     Sparx floats back a little as Nick takes a step towards her.  She regards him warily.

     The relieved expression and smile vanish from Nick's face and are replaced by a look of dejection.  But he takes the hint and drops his arms to his sides, taking a step back.

     The other pixie is more mature looking and male in gender.  He places a protective arm around Sparx and regards Nick with consternation.

     Then Sparx notices the skinny old man bound and huddled against the tree stump wall.

     "Bzzzz.  Twirp...Zzzz," Sparx says motioning to the Crow Master.

      She says, 'you caught him.'

     "Yeah, well, Drake helped a little, too," Nick replies and gives the dragon a hint of a smile.

Sparx motions to the other pixie and says, "Screach bz da."

     Nick, the other one is her dad.

     Nick's mouth forms an exaggerated 'OH', without the accompanying sound.  He stands a little straighter and gives the pixie man a respectful look and then says, "Pleased to meet you, sir."  Nick starts to produce his hand for a handshake, but sees the narrowing eyes and stern look Sparx's dad gives him and thinks better of it.

     The pixie man folds his arms across his chest while he and Sparx are still hovering at Nick's eye level.  Finally he says, "Chirp.  Ssss.  Gggg."

     Nick looks to Drake for the interpretation.

     Hold on, Nick.  He sounds a little different than Sparx.  I think he said something about needing to have a talk with you.

     Nick thinks he knows where this is going.  He sighs heavily, nodding his head and looking at the ground.  Finally, he meets Sparx's father's gaze again and says, "I'm sure you know my name is Nick.  Please, may we be formally introduced?"  He looks back to Sparx again.

     "Zzzz.  Pop.  Tweet," Sparx says motioning to her father.

     Her dad's name is 'Pop'.

     "Her pop's name is 'Pop'?" Nick repeats.  A small laugh escapes him as he looks at Pop.

     Pop does not look amused.

     Nick stifles his smile and coughs, holding his fist to his mouth.  His eyes are still laughing, though.  Finally, Nick clears his throat and stands stiffly once more.

     "Nice to meet you...Pop," Nick says keeping as straight a face as he can.

     "Tiki-buz-woo," Pop says flying toward Nick and motioning his attention to one of his hands while pointing to Nick's temple with the other.

     Nick looks confused.  He turns to Drake and asks, "What's he trying to do?"

      Ummmm, I think he wants to touch your face.  I don't know.  Maybe it's some kind of pixie custom.

     Nick looks back to Pop warily, but allows him to fly up to his face and place his fingers at Nick's temple.  Once the contact was made, Nick realizes this is not how the pixies say hello.

     Images start to flash before Nick's eyes.  He sees crows attack people and humans lynching Crow Masters.  He sees dark magic being summoned and people whose eyes cloud with blood, much the same as the crows they control.

     The barrage of scenes flickers across Nick's mind's eye in fragments.  Somehow, Sparx's dad knows about the Crow Masters and is trying to tell Nick something.

     He sees a tall and handsome vampire, striking some kind of deal with the Crow Masters.  Other vampires are present and they offer blood to the Crow people.   The vampire leader looks strangely familiar to Nick.

     Then, just as suddenly as the information was shared with Nick, he feels a probing into his own mind.  Images are rushing before him once again, but this time they are his own memories.

     Pop is extracting from Nick's mind.  He sees the visions of the Rift Continent and gasps.  Then they are flying down the fissure and enter the green, luminescent cavern.  He can feel the presence of the Evil One.

     Suddenly, the vision is tainted in red and Pop is witnessing the carnage Nick carried out earlier in the evening, completed with his daughter vanishing at the sight of Nick.

     The mental exchange is complete.  Pop and Nick can only stare at one another in awe and wonder.