Chapter 8-Vlad

Chapter 8

     Nakira's skin begins to crawl.  The hairs on the back of her neck stand on end.  Her pupils dilate to penetrate the darkness.  She reaches for the door.  It opens abruptly of its own accord.  The air rushes about her as if the seal to a vacuum tight space has just been ruptured.  A thin, barely perceptible noise emanates from beyond.  The sound reaches Nakira, an affront from all around.  It penetrates to her very core.  It resonates.  It calls her name.

     Nnnaaakiiirrraaa...

     She gasps as icicle fingers slide over her shoulders from behind.  She stiffens, every muscle in her body taught with anticipation.  She doesn't move.  She doesn't breathe.

     "I'm so glad you decided to come home, my child."  The voice is as smooth as glass.  The frigid digits linger.  One finger starts to tap a pointed nail upon Nakira's collarbone.  A white face emerges over her opposite shoulder.  "I was beginning to worry," he whispers as she half turns her head in his direction, his mouth only inches from her neck.  Nakira instinctively closes her eyes in response to his hypnotic tones.  She forces them back open.

     "I had a late supper," she manages to say, her fear not showing in her words.  His hands glide to the sides of her shoulders and slowly turn her to face him.

     "So I noticed."  He closes his eyes and takes in the scent through his long, narrow nose.  His eyes open and peer deep into hers.  "This one was very intoxicated, a homeless wino, perhaps?"  His face draws in a concerned expression; a seeming sympathy towards Nakira's latest kill.  "Still....better for us to take one that will go unnoticed to the teaming masses above."  He kisses her forehead then holds her at arm's length and smiles pleasantly.

     "It's late, I am very tired, Vlad."  She manages a weak smile then looks down toward her feet.

     "Yes.  The sun is rising as we speak.  You do look a little worn out.  I suppose it can wait until this evening.  Let's eat at home, shall we?  Join me in the dining hall when you wake.  Good night, Nakira."  Vlad gently squeezes her hands and then disappears down the dark corridor.  Nakira is left standing alone in the dark.  A deep chill from within causes her to shiver.  She enters her room and latches the door.