Chapter 52-The Enforcers of Aldin

CHAPTER 52

Nick, Sebastian and the other Riders stare at the city beneath them with mouths agape. The chaos they are witnessing seems surreal, as if out of a nightmare. A light drizzle has ensued, but its dampening effects are insufficient to thwart the gas driven fires sprouting from the street lamps, as the flammable substance explodes glass bulbs in a consecutive order down the streets.

Some buildings are already ablaze where portions hang over the volatile street lights. Trees, likewise, are igniting within close proximity to the hazard.

People are spilling from their homes and other buildings and are screaming in alarm. Some are shrieking in pain. Another group of slow moving individuals are trailing behind the panicked masses, occasionally descending on those that have fallen or are unable to keep up.

A fire brigade clangs their bell from its horse drawn contraption. Men jump off the wheeled apparatus, wearing trench coats and shiny helmets. They shoulder long and thick hoses and make their way to the worst of the fire. Other men operate a teeter-totter driven pump, mounted on a huge drum. As they put forth their exertions, a steady stream of water issues from the end of the hose that the other firemen are now aiming at the base of the flame.

Another crew arrives with a large wrench. They approach one of the streetlamps as its geyser of flame blasts away at the sky and trees and buildings around it. They cautiously crouch as they get within the heat radius of the technology gone awry.

Opening a small, protective wrought-iron gate around the gas lamp's perimeter, the city workers manage to fasten the metal tool to its mate near the base of the fire fountains. Working as a team, two strong men heave and ho until the wrench starts to budge. Within moments, the angry plume of fire stymies its exuberance, until disappearing into the broken, metal tip of the gas lamp.

As the team makes its way toward the next flaming post, a mob of zombies falls upon them - biting and scratching the subdued workers.

Likewise, the fire brigade is overwhelmed by more undead that not only feast upon the humans, but are also tearing at the flesh of the horses.

"Great Pyronius," breathes Sebastian in disbelief. Then, getting his wits about him, he turns to Geldar and commands "Send a message to Talonclaw and Highland Den.....Now!"

The mighty black dragon acknowledges Sebastian with gleaming, golden eyes and a nod. Geldar looks to the skies in concentration as he engages in long distance telepathy.

Sebastian reels on his men and yells, "Saddle up, boys! We have work to do!"

The Enforcers of Aldin comply with the constable's orders. They rush about, throwing on gear and fastening saddles to their dragons.

Nick is still mesmerized by the scale of the disaster below. As magnificient as the City of Aldin is, it already appears to be falling into ruins as fire and panic grip its structures and residents.

He turns to face the scrambling Dragonmen, and addresses Sebastian as the leader pulls the leather straps of the riding gear snugly about Geldar's thick neck.

"What about him?" Nick asks, motioning to Finnigan as the skinny old man attempts to slink toward the corner of the hanger.

Sebastian regards the captive with a grunt and a harsh laugh. He snaps his fingers at his closest rider and says, "Put him in a cell and leave him some bread and water. And be quick about it, man! We have a city to save."

As the Enforcer drags the protesting Finnigan down the corridor, Nick asks Sebastian, "How many are you?"

"We are only six. The black riders from Talon Claw have been sent the summons for aid. We only need help Aldin's military until back up arrives," replies Sebastian, putting the finishing touches on the harness holding the saddle securely to Geldar. "Now, if you please, my men and I have a duty to perform."

"Drake and I would like to help," Nick offers.

Sebastian stops his preparation and regards the adolescent with approving eyes.

"That is very generous, young Nick, but I and my men are all Elite Riders, trained at Talon Claw. No offense, but, while your intentions are noble, your inexperience would only get in the way. We have no time here to save your skin and that of a not quite full-grown dragon."

Sebastian puts a foot in the stirrup and pulls himself upon Geldar.

But Nick is not finished. He says, "I think you would be surprised at what Drake and I are capable of."

Losing patience and knowing time is of the essence, Sebastian irritably replies, "You are free to do as you wish, just stay out of our way and don't expect us to have the time to come to your rescue." With that, Geldar and the other black dragons leap from the hangar and soar across the urban scape toward the chaos that abounds.

The Dragonrider that had locked up Finnigan is now close on the heels of his brethren and shrugs his shoulders at Nick as he and his black dragon take off as well.

Nick and Drake are left at the mouth of the hangar to decide their course of action. Drake turns his luminous ruby eyes to Nick with an expectant patience.

Looking across the destruction once more, the young vampire takes a deep breath and fixes his face with a determined expression. He looks back to his dragon and nods his head once sharply and says, "Right! Well, who wants to live forever, eh?"

Scrambling to Drake's neck, Nick pulls hard on the reins. The two fly high above the small mountainous cave and speed toward the troubled city.