Chapter 26-Villains in the North

CHAPTER 26

     The puddle of oily substance is still rippling on the floor of the dark room.  The center has changed to a visual portal displaying a bloody scene on a rooftop.  The first person perspective is in very close proximity to a dead body.  Suddenly, the view pans from the bloody corpse to a little glowing creature suspended in the air above the roof.  She looks mortified and then she disappears in a brilliant cascade of shimmering flecks.

     The scene goes blank.

     The puddle on the floor loses its oily sheen and returns to murky water.

     Vlad is staring into the water with a smile.  The pools of obsidian eyes gradually dissipate and return to normal.  He looks very pleased.

     Finally, Vlad stands up.  He steeples his fingers and with the same smile on his face, he murmurs, "Good..."

*****

Antoine is leading Crow Master Raven to another door in the dimly lit hall.  He opens it and motions for her to enter first.

     Her small, pointy face looks up at Antoine and he smiles at her reassuringly.  He says, "Please, after you, Raven."

     She pauses, still staring at him with her large, almond-shaped, violet eyes.  Her expression is indecipherable.  Finally, she proceeds into the candlelit room.

     Antoine looks back into the hallway momentarily, and then follows Raven into the room and latches the door behind them.