Spike Imagine - Old Friends

Character names - William (Spike), June (OC)

"Do you promise?"

William sighs. "Yes, I will marry you if we're both still single by thirty." 

"Yay,"  June beams, kissing him on the cheek, "I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" 

He swallows thickly, "Yes."

He watches her leave, white dress flowing behind her in the late summer breeze. 

It won't happen though, and he knows it. June will be married to a wealthy husband by then - someone who can treat her right, who makes more money than a mediocre poet. But it's fine to play into the delusion, make a promise to keep a friend happy. Oh, what William would do to make her happy. Whenever he gets a smile out of her, his heart smiles too. Some may call it pathetic, being so infatuated with someone who doesn't feel the same, but he'd prefer 'poetic' - at the very least, it's a source of inspiration for his poetry. 

Or, at least, it was. Since he was turned into a vampire and became intoxicated by Drusilla and the darkness that consumed her, hope was lost for the little life he could have had. The only time he saw June was in his dreams - or more accurately, nightmares. He thought about her often though, - and not just as someone he loved - as a caring friend who didn't deserve his abrupt absence from her life.

"June, please listen."

"What do mean you're leaving?"

"I - I have to go. I've met someone."

She stared at him, "You're getting married?"

William thought it best to lie. He couldn't tell her he was a vampire, could he? "Yes."

"Oh."

"You should be happy for me, June. I - I'll visit. I won't forget about you."

She cracked a sad smile, "You better not, mister." 

June hugged William harder than she ever had before. She held in her tears until he left... Little did she know that he had no plans to return. It would be too painful. He was a coward. 

---------------

"Juniper? Are you listening?"

"Huh? Yeah. I'll patrol if you need me to. Don't worry about it, Giles."

In a twisted, ironic way, June had also been turned into a vampire, only a year after William. They'd been living completely different lives for the past a hundred years: while 'Spike' tortured, killed and partied for the hell of it, June (now preferring 'Juniper') tried to use her vampiric abilities for good. She was sired by an abusive ex-lover - a man from a wealthy family she really felt nothing for, but he was obsessed and undead... He tried to keep June forever, but ended up with a stake through his heart. After going through what she did, she vowed to use her eternal life for ridding the world of men like him. From catcalling creeps to known rapists and abusers, she'd hunt them down and make their deaths painful.

June moved to Sunnydale in the late 60s after hearing it had a big vampire scene, however she didn't really fit in. Then Buffy Summers came to town and in an unlikely turn of events, the pair became close friends. They'd fought evil together for just a year until it went downhill. June's past caught up with her: descendants of a particularly disgusting family she'd slaughtered had set up camp in Sunnydale and their presence not only threatened her, but the ones she had grown to love. They were highly skilled hunters and after threats towards Dawn had been made, she knew what she had to do. With support from her found family (The Scoobies), she fled to never return, forcing her pursuers to hit the road once more.