The Labyrinth

I will admit that I hadn't had a normal childhood. It was a hard life, me and Jordan looking out for each other and Erik, making due with what we had. I learned young how to do things like make food, clean and handle a few things on my own. Sure Jordan would help me but more often than not I was on my own for homework. 

Math was easy, it was always English where I had trouble. I couldn't read aloud in class because of dyslexia and the teachers knew this. I had trouble even writing my own name until I was ten. But I still tried. I learned that if I went over it enough and tried hard enough, I would eventually understand it. 

I think that's why I got so mad at Apollo in the archery range. Because he just gave up with barely trying. 

He got a good score, even with two arrows outside the black ring. He threw down his bow and cried. I walked over and crouched next to him on the ground. Kayla picked up his bow and offered it to him. 

"It's alright," I said. "You may not be a god anymore but you're still doing good. We can make progress." 

"Exactly," Kayla agreed with a soft smile on her face. "Those were fantastic. Just a little more practice and-" 

"I'm the god of archery," he countered. "I shouldn't have to practice." 

A few spaces over, Laurel and Holly snickered. "Hey, ex-god," Holly called. "Practice is the only way to improve." She nocked an arrow and shot it. She scored a seven in the ring which was really saying something. 

"Exactly," I agreed. "Even of you were a god, you're mortal now. The only way to get better is to practice." 

"For you maybe," he said. "You're a mortal." 

I don't know why, but what he said hurt. It stung in my chest for a reason I didn't understand. 

Laurel snorted. "So are you now. Suck it up. Winners don't complain." She shot her arrow which hit beside her sister's. "That's why I'm better than Holly. She's always complaining." 

I tuned out as they started fighting again. "Look, just because you're a mortal now doesn't mean you can just give up at the first hurdle. You keep going, you keep fighting. I mean come on, you guys didn't give up when you had to fight Typhon did you?" 

"I was a god then," he protested. "I can't do this. I'm too old to be sixteen again." 

Kayla cupped her hand over her dad's. The kind look in her eyes made it hard to tell that she was just fifteen, that she was my age. We were both so young. "You can do it Dad," she encouraged. "You're already good. You've just got to adjust your expectations. Be paitent, be brave. You'll get better." 

"No," he denied. "No, it is too painful. Until I am a god again I will not use a bow or a musical instrument!" 

I was so shocked I fell back to my butt. A swear on the Styx... that was serious. You just don't break those kinds of oaths. That's how serious it is. Apollo was the god of music, archery, poetry and prophecy. He just gave up the right to use some of his biggest strengths, why? Because it was a little hard at the start. I wanted to break something. I wanted to yell. I wanted to scream. 

I stood up, about to go to the lake when I saw Sherman. He was walking shakingly to the woods. I felt my eyes widen before I ran over. The second I was in the shade of the trees, the temperature dropped and the air got thicker. It was suddenly hard the breathe. It was so dark and I couldn't breathe. I couldn't move and I couldn't breathe. 

Someone grabbed my wrist. I jumped only to see Kayla with Apollo behind her. I sent her a shaky smile before I continued after Sherman. 

I grabbed Sherman's shoulder. He tried to shake me off, but I kept my grip tight. Kayla and Apollo turned him around. His eyes were half closed and out of focus. He looked like he was sleepwalking.