The Camp

I grew up in St Louis, a very crowded and loud city bursting with movement, tourists and urban development.

It did not prepare me for Manhattan. Everything there was multiplied by a hundred. A hundred more tourists. A hundred more people on the sidewalk, a hundred more cars in the street. At least in St Louis there was some elbow room. It felt like I was being jostled a thousand ways. Sunny whimpered every now and then when someone stepped on his paw. But then again I had no idea where I was going. I just had to get away from that park.

I paused in a doorway and pulled out a can of sausage. I opened it for Sunny and carefully placed the fern in my backpack. It was getting lighter.

I had no idea what to do with the can.

I sat down on the stoop. Sunny walked over and started licking at the tear tracks on my face. I scratched his ears. "Now what do we do?" I asked him.

He licked my face again, which wasn't helpful.

I looked down the block and saw a place with a big paw print in the window. I slung my bag around my shoulders and stood up. "Come on, Sunny." The dog followed me down the sidewalk and across the street.

I opened the door and was immediately hit with the smell of dogs. The place was filled with pet food, toys, accessories, treats on shelves against the walls but the main floor plan was dedicated to a play area where a dozen dogs of various breeds were play wrestling. There was a cash register behind the play area with a door behind there.

A German Shepherd barked at us and all the others ran over to the edge of the barrier. Sunny barked and ran over. He sniffed their snouts, his tail going wild.

The door opened and a woman walked out. She was in her mid thirties with light brown hair, kind green eyes. She wore a dark blue shirt with green letters and a paw print beneath it.

"Oh," she said. I probably looked like a mess. I didn't care. "Um, hello. How can I help you?"

"I found this dog and I was looking for a place he could stay," I told her, gesturing to Sunny. "I can't take care of him. I saw your shop and I thought that you might know somewhere I can take him."

"Oh, well we can take care of him," she said. "We're an animal shelter. We take in strays all the time. The golden doodle came to us just a few weeks ago."

I looked at the medium dog in the middle of the dog pile. He maybe went to the middle of my calf, golden curls everywhere on his soft body. He looked so happy.

I nodded, despite that horrible feeling in my chest telling me to grab Sunny and get out. "How much?"

"Oh, sweetie you don't have to pay anything," she said, walking out from behind the counter. Sunny seemed to notice her, his head and ears perking up. "We'll take him, free of charge."

I crouched down. "Sunny, come here boy." He walked over, panting but happy. I scratched his ears as I looked at the woman. "His name is Sunny. I don't know if he's microchipped or nudered. He has burns on his neck from cigarettes. And his collar was too tight so he had bruises. He likes sausage and ear scratches."

The woman smiled. "We'll take good care of him."

I nodded and looked back at my dog. "Sunny, buddy, I have to go, okay?" He tilted his head, confused. "They're gonna take good care of you okay? And-and maybe I'll come back and get you." Sunny licked my face, cleaning away the fresh tears that burned my tired eyes. I wound my arms around his neck and pulled him close. He smelled wonderful. Like dirt and dog. He was such a good dog.

I pulled away and stood up. "You be a good boy, okay?" I backed up to the door. Sunny whined and took a step forward. "Stay," I told him. He stopped and sat down. "Be a good boy. Good boy."