The Bridge

The silence was a thing. It was a living, breathing thing. It stretched down the street, through the lines of cars, into the buildings. It stretched everywhere.

Mrs O'Leary seemed very happy with the change. She nudged away the man that was leaning against the hot dog cart and launched an attack on the meat.

I could only stand there stunned. Argus didn't say anything either. Then again I'd never heard him speak before. Apparently he had an eye on his tongue as well so it was difficult for him to talk.

"Ever see anything like this?" I asked.

He shook his head.

"Magic?" I asked.

He shrugged.

The doors opened and Percy walked out, the army of demigods behind him.

"They're still alive," I told him. "They're just... asleep. Same with the cars. I'm just... I don't know how this could've happened." I took a breath. "What happened with Hermes?"

Percy sighed. "The gods aren't coming," he said. I licked my lips and played with the dog tags. Argus rolled his eyes, which was a little freaky since there were a hundred of them.

"You better get back to Camp," he said to Argus. "Guard it as best you can."

The man pointed at Percy and raised an eyebrow.

"I'm staying," Percy declared.

Argus nodded. He turned to Annabeth and drew a circle in the air.

"Yes," she agreed. "I think it's time."

"For what?" Percy asked.

Argus walked to one of the camp vans and rummaged through it. He brought out a bronze shield and gave it to Annabeth. It was a polished bronze, the same size as a lot of the other shields we had. When she set it on the ground, the reflection changed to a view of the Statue of Liberty.

"That's amazing," I said.

"A video shield," Percy added.

"One of Daedalus's inventions," she informed. "I had Beckendorf make this before..." The blonde glanced at Silena who was standing nearby. "Um, anyway. The shield bends sunlight or moonlight from anywhere to create a reflection. You can literally see any target under the sun or moon as long as natural light is touching it. Look."

I crouched next to her as she zoomed through images of the city. I saw a zoo (the animals were sleeping too), then a very fancy shop, and down an avenue full of sleeping drivers.

"Woah," Connor said over my shoulder. "Back up. Zoom in right there."

"What?" Annabeth asked. Being right next to her, I could see the anxiety in her eyes as she studied the shield. "You see invaders?"

"No, right there, Dylan's Candy Bar," Connor replied as he grinned at his brother. "Dude, it's open. And everyone is asleep. You thinking what I'm thinking?"

I facepalmed.

"Connor!" a girl scolded. "This is serious. You are not going to loot a candy store in the middle of the war."

"Sorry," he muttered. He didn't look very sorry.

Annabeth waved her hand in front of the shield. An image of a park appeared on the surface of the shield. "This shield will allow us to what's going on in other areas of the city during battle." She looked back at the head of security and nodded. "Thanks, Argus. If things go according to plan, we'll see you back at Camp."

Argus grunted. He gave Percy a look and then climbed back in the van. The other two vans that had transported demigods followed behind him, driven by harpies (half woman-half chicken things). They weaved between the stopped cars in the street till they turned a corner and were gone.