The Claimings

"Things are gonna change," I said, looking over Olmypus. Cyclops, dryads and nature spirits were starting to pick up pieces of rubble from Kronos's attack. I could see the gold and the marble buildings, a lot of them destroyed with the marks of the scythe.

"A lot of it's gonna be for the better," Kelsea said.

"Some of it could be for worse," Shane pointed out.

"As long as we work on it, it'll be for the better," Will concluded.

I smiled. "We'll keep working on it, till it's great."

"There's a lot of work to do," Shane pointed out. "People to heal, supplies to get back to Camp, new cabins to build."

"Then we better get working," I said.

"I gotta go help the injured," Will sighed. He already looked exhausted. "I'll see you guys at Camp." We waved good-bye.

"I'm gonna go see how they're going on the supplies," Shane said. "See if they need any help."

"I'll come with," Kelsea volunteered.

I smiled as I watched them walk away. Their hands brushed occasionally. I stood on the steps of the throne room, listening to the sounds around me. Gods and demigods alike working on the city. But beyond that, I heard the sounds of traffic alarms, people shouting and police sirens. I made my way through Olympus. I needed to see it for myself. I went down the elevator, listening to the Pina Colada song. I slipped past a couple arguing with the security guard ( I didn't want a part of that) and stepped outside.

The sounds of the city greeted me. There were children crying, adults yelling, cars honking, alarms blaring, police sirens echoed down the block. I nearly joined the crying children. The quiet meant fighting. Noise was good. It meant that it was over. Things were back to normal. But at the same time, I couldn't go back to how I used to be. Oblivious to the world I was born into.

I could see satyrs and dryads with bandages on some parts of their bodies. Demigods were loading supplies into the camp vans that were driven by harpies. I could see evidence of monsters and armies now, golden dust on the street that cars blew away with their exhaust and their tires. I was wearing battle armour after all.

"Taking it all in?" a voice behind me asked. I didn't jump, it was a voice I recognized after all. I turned to see Nico di Angelo stepping to stand beside me. I turned back to the roads and the noise.

"I never thought I would miss the mayhem and chaos of a city until it was gone," I admitted. "I just... had to see it, convince myself it was over."

Nico nodded. "I can understand that."

"What are you doing down here?" I asked.

"Looking for Mrs O'Leary," he told me. "I had to leave her down here and I have no idea where she went."

"Well she obviously isn't raiding the hot dog cart anymore," I said, pointing to the vender across the street, complaining about his stolen wares. "I think I saw a Korean place on 32nd. You wanna check that?"

He shrugged. "Sure."

"Mind if I come with you?" I asked. "Never got to look around this town before."

Nico eyed me warily, like he was deciding if he trusted me or not. Finally he seemed to cave and motioned for me to come with him.

We walked in relative silence down the sidewalk. People were moving fast, talking faster, something about a terrorist attack. The Mist worked in mysterious ways. We came to a crosswalk and Nico nearly stepped off the sidewalk. I grabbed his wrist and pulled him back. A taxi honked as it passed. Nico jerked his hand away.