The City

Growing up, the Arch was the most impressive place in the world to me. The way it curved and twisted in the middle of the air, the support structures that held it up, not to mention the work that must've gone into it.

Standing in front of the Empire State Building, I had that same feeling. The feeling of awe and wonder at the work that had gone into the place so it could disappear among the clouds. Even in the late afternoon light, it seemed to glow as if lit up like a Christmas tree.

Kelsea chuckled. "Welcome to Manhattan."

I felt myself deflate at those words, words Forest had told me not so long ago. He had died in a park not too far from here. Sunny could've been just around the corner. I hoped he was doing okay.

"Thanks for coming, everybody," Percy said. I turned my attention to the son of Poseidon. He seemed older somehow. "Chiron, after you."

Chiron, in wheelchair form, shook his head. "I came to wish you luck, my boy. But I make it a point not to visit Olympus unless I am summoned."

I looked up at the building. Olympus. Forest had said that the gods moved with Western civilization. Still, it was hard to imagine the home of the gods at the top floor.

Percy's brows furrowed in confusion. "But you're our leader," he protested.

Chiron smiled the same way a teacher does when you get an obvious question wrong. "I'm your trainer, your teacher. That is not the same as being your leader. I will go gather what allies I can. It may not be too late to convince my brother centaurs to help. Meanwhile, you called the campers here Percy. You are the leader."

Percy looked like he wanted to protest, but he seemed to see everyone's gaze on him. He squared his shoulders and met the gazes of forty demigods. "Okay, like I told Annabeth on the phone, something bad is going to happen by tonight. Some kind of trap.

"We've got to get an audience with Zeus and convince him to defend the city. Remember, we can't take no for an answer. Argus, can you watch Mrs O'Leary?"

The man eyed man huffed, half his eyes glaring at the hellhound. Mrs O'Leary wasn't too happy either. She whined and lowered her ears.

Chiron shook Percy's hand. "You'll do well, Percy. Just remember your strengths and beware your weaknesses."

Percy looked a little pale but he nodded and tried to smile. Then he turned to us, the group of campers. I still felt stupid in my armour. "Let's go," he told us.

He pushed open the door and led us inside the lobby. The security guard behind the desk was reading a book a with a single white flower on it. He looked up when we came in, but he still looked bored. "School group?" The guard asked. "We're about to close up."

I rolled my eyes. It was the middle of summer.

"No," Percy denied. "Sixth-hundredth floor."

The guard scanned the group. They stayed a little longer on Percy before they returned to the book. "There is no six-hundredth floor, kid," he said. "Move along."

Percy leaned across the counter. "Forty demigods attract an awful lot of monsters. You really want us hanging out in your lobby?"

The guard looked up from his book, staring at the wall. He hit a button under the desk and the security gate swung open. "Make it quick."

"You don't want us going through the metal detectors," Percy added.

He seemed to think for a moment. "Um, no. Elevator on the right. I guess you know the way."