The Boy With One Shoe

"Come on, Will," Annabeth dragged on.

"I don't know," he said, looking over the chariot.

I sighed. "What if she takes Butch? He's one of the best equestrians we have right now. He could make sure that it gets back safely too."

Will bit his lip. He nodded. "Yeah, okay. Just borrowing it, okay? No wrecking it."

"I promise," Annabeth guaranteed.

"I'll go get Butch," I said. I sent one last smile to Will in thanks, who waved me off.

Butch was with his sister Layla in the pegasus stables. They were complete opposites. Butch was big, muscley, with a buzz cut blond hair, hard jaw and a rainbow tattoo on his left bicep. Layla had soft black hair, hazel eyes that constantly changed between brown and green, she was small with a pegasus tattoo on her right shoulder (They had gotten them together, at the same time).

"Butch," I called. He looked over from Porkpie. "Annabeth got a lead on Percy, she needs your help with a mission. And two pegasi to pull the chariot."

Butch turned to Porkpie and Guido. "You two ready for a ride?"

The pegasi neighed in what I hoped was agreement.

I helped Butch lead them to where the chariot was waiting. He and Annabeth took over the harnessing and reins. When they were done, I saw my sister climb in and check the navigation device, secure the javelins (just in case of monsters), then go back to the compass.

I walked over and laid a hand over hers. I had to look up since she was in the chariot. "You'll find him," I told her.

"How do you know?" she asked. It was the first time I had seen her near broken since he disappeared. Her eyes were red rimmed, her voice was almost a whisper.

"Because it's you," I said. "You're as stubborn as Clarisse. If not more."

She gave me a weak smile, but it vanished in an instant.

"And I've seen how much you care for each other, even when he was being an idiot," I continued. "Passion like that can make even the gods fall down. So you'll find him. I have no doubt you won't. And where ever he is, I'm sure he's trying everything he can to get back to you as well. He really cares for you, Beth."

She squeezed my hand. "Thank you, Beth."

I nodded and stepped back. Butch climbed into the chariot. I watched as the pegasi lifted their wings and flew into the sky till they were a bronze dot on the horizon.

==========================================================================

I cringed as I saw Allyson slip on the climbing wall. She regained her footing but still, it was a close call. It was because I was looking at the sky that I saw the chariot.

It came in hot, curls of smoke whisking off it like a comet. It was descending, straight towards the lake.

"Malcolm," I said.

"I see it, go," he told me. I turned and ran.

When I got to the lake, everything was already a disaster. Butch was cutting the harnesses off of the pegasi to free them from the chariot that was slowly going underwater. The horses looked okay, but I could see they were shivering. Annabeth was out of the lake, already wrapped in a blanket.

I made my way through the crowd to her. "You hurt?" I asked.

She shook her head. Her eyes were stormy and...sad. They hadn't found Percy. I wanted to give her a hug, but knew not to in the middle of a crowd. Instead I squeezed her shoulder.