The Son Of Poseidon

I will never say I understand what certain people have been through. There is no way I'll know everything they've been through so there's way for me to say I understand.

There are a few things I do understand though. I understand how fear and nightmares can distort your reality and surroundings.

Which is exactly why I didn't try and wake up Annabeth a second time.

It had been about four days since the Romans left and the summer camp session was ending in about a week and a half. It was the middle of the night. I hadn't been asleep long before my own nightmare woke me up. I took deep breaths to calm myself down, focus on reality instead of the memory of rust coloured eyes.

It was only because I was taking in my surroundings carefully that I noticed Annabeth moving around in her bed. She hadn't been sleeping too well lately, unable to actually go to sleep the last few days. I carefully got out of bed and took a step forward.

Annabeth turned over, quickly, multiple times. She kept shaking her head.

I went to Insley's bed and started shaking them. They groaned and pulled the covers over their head.

"Insley, get up," I whispered harshly. "Annabeth's having a nightmare."

Their head poked out from the covers, grey eyes narrowed in suspicion. "You better not be pulling my leg here, Liz," they warned.

"Why would I be lying about this?" I countered. "I need you to go get Percy, I'll try and get her up." They nodded and pulled the covers off. I tiptoed over to Annabeth's bed and lightly whispered, "Beth, Beth, Annabeth, wake up."

She just whimpered and rolled over so she was facing me. The door opened and closed softly as Insley left.

I gently shook her shoulder. "Annabeth, wake up," I urged.

I wasn't ready for what happened next. She grabbed me and pulled me under her. Her eyes were closed. Her hands went to my neck and started squeezing.

My hands gripped her wrist, trying to pull her off me. Her eyes were closed, face tight with fear and slick with sweat. I gasped and wheezed, trying to take in any air. It wasn't working. I coughed and gagged, trying to breathe.

"Annabeth!" someone exclaimed. I saw Ashley waking up in the corner of my eye. Ashley looked ready to tackle her. I shook my head, as much as I could. She stared at me shocked. Spots began to cloud my vision and I couldn't see Annabeth as well. My grip was slipping on her wrists, her face was pale with terror.

"Annabeth!" a second voice yelled. That one I knew. That was the voice I sent Insley for.

She stopped dqueezing as hard as he ran over. "Percy?" she whispered. Dots still danced in my vision with the pressure she gave.

He stood beside her bed and put a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, yeah, it's me," he said. His voice was calm and smooth.

"I caught a monster," she told him. "Are-Are we through the Mansion?"

He shook his head, I could only tell from the way his hair moved. "Not yet. I need you to let go of the monster, okay? It's not gonna hurt us."

"How-how do you know?" she asked.

"It's like Bob and Small Bob, it's a good monster," he explained. "Just let go and I'll lead you through, okay?"

She removed her hands from my neck. I heard Ashley take a breath of relief. Percy took her hand and led her from the bed. I sat up and tried to breathe but I was still coughing. My throat hurt so much.

There was the sound of the door opening and then gentle hands on my shoulders. "Easy, small breaths," a new voice said. I tried to follow their instructions but it hurt too much. I started coughing again. I looked up and saw Will with his golden hair and sky blue eyes.