Chapter 5: Why?

The three of them left after having lunch. Li Yuegui gave them a basket filled with potatoes for them to take back.

Along the way back, He Xiaoyun didn't talk much. Wei Yuanhang probably sensed her mood and decided to hold her hand along with his father, urging them if he can fly.

He Xiaoyun looked at the child's sunburned face before finally agreeing. She took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. She exhaled all the depressing thoughts from her mind and silently glanced at Wei Jianwei.

"Are you ready? The plane is about to take off."

Wei Jianwei held Wei Yuanhang upper hand and nodded.

"Fly!" He Xiaoyun gave a little cheer, holding the child's arm before rushing forward.

Wei Yuanhang was picked by the two of them and his chubby body was suspended in the air, he exclaimed with great excitement, "The big airplane is coming! The plane is coming!"

'Flying' all the way home, a lot of people who saw them laughed.

He Xiaoyun didn't feel anything while on the road but after stopping, she felt that her arms were sore, the chubby boy is clearly a bit overweight.

Only the eldest sister-in-law was at home when they came back, sitting at the door and knitting. Seeing them back so early, she asked, "You three, why are you back so early? Have the three of you eaten yet?"

"We already did. Where is mother-in-law, sister-in-law?"

"Mother went to the commune early today to see if there is any fat for sale. She's going to buy a few catties back."

He Xiaoyun nodded. She remembered that Wang Chunhua mentioned this matter before, the planting of seedlings. She's going to replenish the family with some meat and oil. Otherwise, the bodies might be weak and it would be too hard in planting.

After finishing knitting a ball of yarn, Feng Qiuyue pulled a new ball of yarn out of the basket. He Xiaoyun saw it and went over to help her wind it.

She moves naturally and Feng Qiuyue was a little surprised. Although the two of them are sisters-in-law and have lived under the same roof for three or four years, the two of them are not close. Having married for several years and never bearing a child, Feng Qiuyue knew that this sister-in-law was a bit contemptuous of her and tried not to provoke her.

As soon as Wei Yuanhang got home, he ran back to his room to see his eggs and brought them to bask in the sun.

He Xiaoyun teased him while winding the yarn, "Just leave the box there to bask and come in. You were chubby and white so you can be called cute. What would happen if your skin darkened? You're gonna be called fat and dark."

"I'm not fat!" Wei Yuanhang pouted and ran to his father for backup. "Isn't that right, Dad? I'm not fat at all."

Wei Jianwei was about to go out and fetched water with a bucket in his hand when he heard his son's question. He then looked down at his son's figure. He didn't say 'fat' nor did he break the child's confidence.

"When you grow up, you'll lose weight."

Unable to catch the hidden meaning of his father's words, Wei Yuanhang rushed to her mother to retort back, "Dad said I'm going to lose weight!"

"You're still fatter than me. FATTER than me." He Xiaoyun continued to tease him.

The child then hurriedly asked his father, "Mom says I'm fatter than her, what to do?"

Wei Jianwei glanced at the two of them back and forth. The child looked anxious while He Xiaoyun smiled triumphantly.

He then said, "You'll be taller than your mom in the future."