Oak Tree- 11th Doctor

Trigger warning: mild child abuse

It was a sweltering hot day and you were reading up in the branches of your oak tree. This was your favorite place to go, it allowed you to relax and get away from the world; Your abusive parents and the bullies at school.

You hated to admit it, but this peculiar tree was your only friend. Pathetic, but true. You would run here when you were mad, sad, or scared. It always seemed to calm you down.

At the moment, you were reading The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R Tolkien. It had been a particularly hard day at school. You stopped reading when you heard a strange whooshing noise, it was like a wheezing intake and outtake of breath.

You perked up and surveyed your surroundings, only to see the usual empty field in front of you. You rolled your eyes, it was probably just your imagination. You looked down at your book again continuing the passage.

'All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost...'

"Umm, hello!" an unfamiliar voice shouted and you jumped, looking down to see a man with floppy brown hair, a tweed jacket, and a red bow tie. "Sorry to startle you, I was just wondering if I could join you," he smiled up at you.

You surveyed the man, he had these old green eyes and a hopeful smile. Something told you that you could trust him.

"Sure, come on up," you patted the branch next to you and he hoisted himself beside you.

"I'm y/n, y/f/n," you introduced yourself.

"I'm The Doctor."

"Doctor who?" He smiled at that.

"Just The Doctor. What are you reading?" He studied your book. "I love reading! Books are the best weapons in the world! I've read every book created ever at least twice," he said. You chuckled, thinking he was being sarcastic.

"It's just The Fellowship of the Ring-"

"Fantastic read!" the Doctor yelled joyfully as he snatched the book from your hands. Then he continued reading from where you left off. "'The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.' Oh! This quote always gets me!"

So, that's how the rest of the day was spent. Sitting up on the branches off your oak tree, listening to the Doctor read. But, it was when the sun started setting a glumness settled in your stomach. You would have to go home soon...

"I'm sorry, Doctor. But, I have to go," you sighed, trying to blink back the tears in your eyes. You didn't want to go home, your parents would yell at you, again.

"Oh-" he replied, also sounding downcast. "I'm sure you'll want this back." He gave you back your book, putting something in as a bookmark. You slipped down from the tree branch and landed softly on the ground.

"It was nice meeting you, Doctor, maybe I will see you around and we could read some more." You forced a smile and started walking towards the direction of your house, all ready starting to brace yourself for the yells from your mother ahead off you, that would be followed by nightmare-filled sleep, then going to a hell hole called 'High School.' You huffed and approached the door, squaring your shoulders and lowing your head...

"Y/n! You are late, I told you to keep track of time! God, you are so lazy and worthless I couldn't even trust you to do a simple request-" and that was how the evening went, but luckily the yelling ended. You ran to your room in tears, it wasn't much of a room though... Your life was basically its own Harry Potter book, except no letter to Hogwarts showed up when you were eleven. You collapsed on your bed and sobbed, finally opening FotR to read and calm yourself down. But, a key fell out of the page the Doctor stopped at. You picked it up and studied it. Why did the Doctor give you a key?

In the distance, there was the whooshing sound again. You sat up in your bed and looked out the window at your oak tree... There was a strange object next to it.

You strained your hearing for any footsteps passing by your door... None. So, you opened your window and slid out, sprinting to the oak to get a closer look.

Once you got close enough, you slowed down to see that it was a Police Box, and a lovely deep blue color it was...

"Y/n!" The doors burst open to reveal The Doctor, grinning like an idiot. "I came right as you called!"

"I called?" He lurched forwards and grabbed your hand.

"Want to go on an adventure?"

"What? A-adventure?"

"Want to get away from this life?"

"Oh God, yes!"

"Good!" He yanked you into the box and you braced to hit a wall but you only fell into open space. Your eyes widened as you took in the interior, this place was huge!

"Its bigger on the inside!" Once again, The Doctor grinned like a kid.

"It's called the TARDIS, Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. It can go anywhere in time and space. Where do you want to go?"

"Anywhere away from here is fine," you said, finally smiling again.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.

So, after traveling with The Doctor for quite some time... Your parents were forgotten and you finally felt happy.

Hey! Next should be a Sherlock Imagine... Hope you enjoyed.