Chapter 1 of many

Summer 2015

Okay, so this is my first full length novel, I will be posting chapters as I edit them.  Some of you will love it, some will stop reading after a few paragraphs, and others will wonder where it has been hiding.  I's been in my deep dark mind for quite some time....  Comments are welcome and much appreciated :)

Remmy woke early Saturday morning to her phone ringing.  She opened her eyes to bright light and closed them, leaving her to hunt for her phone blindly.  "Hello?" Remmy mumbled.    

    A deep husky voice answered.  "Good mornin sunshine.  I've got a good'n for ya today." 

    "Uh huh." 

    "Remmy, wake up and come to work." Click. 

    Remmy pulled herself out of bed and got dressed in a sleepy stupor.  She was on call during weekends and had hoped to sleep in today.  Guess that wasn't going to happen.  Mack was generally a great boss, but he could be a real hard ass if he wanted.  She had hit it off with him right away and she could tell the feeling was mutual. He always had a grin on his face when she was near.

    She did a multitude of odd jobs from repair to repainting.  She worked with a small crew of three others at the housing facility for the school she attended. The school had agreed that if she worked for them full time, they would pay her way through school and for a place to stay.  This worked perfectly for her.  She was an orphan so to speak.  Her parents weren't dead, they just weren't around and left her to her own devices at a rather young age.  She had worked out this deal with the school shortly after the age of ten and had been there ever since.  As she grew older, her jobs became more labor intensive.  She started off as a shy quiet girl helping out in the library and slowly worked her way up to her current job. 

    Remmy was the first to arrive and strolled into Mack's office.  It was just off the lobby of the first floor of the Delmire dormitory that held the rich kids.  Mack hadn't picked this building for his office, but the school had insisted he take it.  His office was spacious with hard angles and soft earthy colors.  It actually suited Mack well.

    "Good morning Mack, what job do you have for us today?"  Remmy plopped herself into the chair in front of a large pine desk and an even larger burly Mack.

    Mack looked up from his paper work to see a girl more mature for her age then any other he had ever met.  He had grown close to her over the last few months and it wasn't because she was the best on his crew.  At first glance, she was pretty with soft golden waves, intense blue eyes, and a hard exterior.  But when you got to know her, she was beautiful inside and out.  Her tender heart would shine through her tough words.  He cared for the girl and her upbringing without parents dumbfounded him.  How anyone could not want to be around her, he just couldn't understand.

    Before he could answer Remmy about today's disaster, Gertrude and Naldy walked in.  "Good mornin all," Mack said in a deep voice. 

    Gertrude, true to her name, was a pleasantly plump girl with brown wavy hair and a pretty but homely face. She was the most responsible of the group.  She was quiet and shy, afraid to draw attention to herself.  Remmy felt Gertrude had an almost motherly effect on their crew at times. 

    Ronald, the only male other than Mack, was a tall boy for his age.  His dirty blonde hair was getting too long and hit him just above his eyebrows.  He was on the lanky side, and could easily pass as a nerd outside of work.  The kids in his class often tormented him by calling him Ronaldy the nerd, after the Great Ronaldy who had been a master at spells.  Ronaldy the great was also a master at never leaving the study or his books.  Ronald didn't mind the distinction too much and it inspired him for his current nickname of Naldy.