15. the plan

[the hunger games series: catching fire]➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

Cameron spent the next morning keeping to herself mostly. Peeta and Katniss had gone into the water to try and clean off the welts that were still stuck to their skin. Finnick joined them later, after he realized what the pair was doing. Cameron didn't care to join them, she would much rather continue keeping rocks on the water until they figured out what to do with the rest of the careers. It was probably easier this was anyways.

        Cameron let out a light sigh as she looked away from the water, her eyes scanning the beach were Beetee was working and Johanna was sleeping. Beetee made eye contact with Cameron and waved her over to him. Cameron reluctantly dragged herself over to the place where he was sitting. "I think I've come up with a plan," he said slowly.

        The woman's eyes widened. "Well don't just fucking tell me, tell everybody else," she whispered, looking at the people in the water.

        Beetee nodded as he called Finnick, Katniss, and Peeta over to himself and Cameron. "I think we'll all agree our next job is to kill Brutus and Enobaria," he started, looking to the four of them. "I doubt they'll attack us openly again, now that they're so outnumbered. We could track them down, I suppose, but it's dangerous, exhausting work."

        Katniss frowned, "Do you think they've figured out about the clocks?" she asked.

        "If they haven't, they'll figure it out soon enough. Perhaps not as specifically as we have. But they must know that at least some of the zones are wired for attacks and that they're reoccuring in a circular fashion. Also, the fact that out last fight was cut off by Gamemaker invention will not have gone unnoticed by them. We know it was an attempt to disorient us, but they must be asking themselves why it was done, and this, too, may lead them to the realization that the arena's a clock," Beetee said. "So I think out best bet will be sitting our own trap."

        "Wait," Finnick said before Beetee could continuation his explanation. "Let me get Johanna up. She'll be rabid if she thinks she missed something this important."

        "You know that's right," Cameron said under her breath. Finnick left to go shake Johanna awake as Beetee shooed the other three back, needing some space for him to work. He draws a large circle in the sand and divides it into 12 sectors.

        "If you were Brutus and Enobaria," Brutus continued as soon as Johanna and Finnick rejoined them. "Knowing what you do now about the jungle, where would you feel safe?" he asked.

        Cameron furrowed her brows. "I dunno- um-"

        "The beach," Peeta said before Cameron could finish her thought. "Where we are now. It's the safest place."

        Beetee nodded, "So why aren't they on the beach?"

        "Because we're here," Johanna snapped.