12. nuts and volts

[the hunger games series: catching fire]➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

        "Cam, cam, CAM," Finnick said loudly, shaking the woman's shoulders. "What the hell did you do?" he hissed.

Cameron turned around to face him, tears still falling from her eyes. "What the hell did I do?" she retorted. "I killed the son of a bitch who killed my friend. That's what I did," she answered. "And don't you dare say he didn't deserve it because he fucking did. I hope he rots in hell for what he did to Mitch."

"And what were you gonna do when the other tribute killed you, huh? Because that's exactly what was gonna happen before she disappeared," Finnick said in a harsh, but calm voice.

Cameron's eyes snapped towards the clearing, and he was right. The other woman had disappeared, leaving Oliver's body laying face down on the ground. "Fuck!" she snapped, tearing her way into the clearing. "This is your fault!" she said, turning around to poke Finnick in the chest. "If you hadn't come here, I could've got them both!" She kicked Oliver's body to the side and grabbed her arrow out of his chest, shoving it back into her carrier.

"You're blaming me for this?" Finnick asked Cameron as she picked up Mitchell's knife from the ground. "You're the one who killed that guy."

Cameron scoffed, wiping the knife down with a large leaf she found on the ground. "Did you forget where we are, Finnick?" she asked him, taking another step closer to the tribute. "This is the fucking hunger games," she hissed. "It's either kill or be killed, we've both been in this situation before. I did everyone here a favor. It was either me or him. And I could've got them both if you weren't standing here, distracting me."

"Distracting you? Distracting you?" Finnick asked. "Try saving you. What the hell would you do if that arrow didn't land, huh?" he asked her, staring the girl dead in the eyes. "It would've been two on one, and we would've lost you and Carnett. I heard that canon sound and I thought you were dead. But maybe next time I'll just let you get shot."

"Good," Cameron snarled. "I wouldn't want to be stuck here with you anyway," she continued, pushing past the man and marching back into the forest.

Finnick grabbed onto her shoulder, preventing her from walking any further. "What do you plan on doing, Cam?" he asked, his voice barely above a whisper. "We both know you're not up to your best standards. Not after Carnett."

Cameron whipped around, spinning on her heel, "Neither are you," she replied. "We both remember what happened to Mags. I thought you of all people would understand that I needed to do this. Like I said earlier, it was either me or him. You knew I was going off in that woods, and I was either gonna come back or be one of those cannon noises they fire in the sky. And I ended up killing that son of bitch. So maybe I'm not at my best, but I'm still pretty fucking good," she spat.