10. one man down

[the hunger games series: catching fire]➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

Cameron was woken up by Katniss a few hours later. "Run," Katniss yelled, trying to wake the others up. "Run!" The girl shoots up instantly, looking around for the danger that Katniss was trying to signal. She spun on her heel to see a wall of fog floating towards them.

        "Shit!" she sounded running forward to a still sleeping Mitch. She prodded him with her foot, causing the boy to shoot awake. "We have to go," she heaved.

        Mitch didn't ask any questions, he just followed Cameron as they began to charge through the woods, trying to ignore the sharp pains on her arms from the droplets of mist. She could see the shadow of Finnick and Mags in front of her and she tried to follow it as close as she could, not wanting to lose the other half of the group.

        Finnick stopped instantly, causing Cameron to almost run into him. "What did you do that for?" she hissed.

        "Yeah, Odair, we have to keep going or we are gonna get burned alive by that poisonous fog," Mitchell added.

        "Have you two forgotten the whole reason we have this alliance?" he asked in a low whisper. He flicked his head backward toward Katniss and Peeta, who were struggling against the threat of impending doom. Cameron narrowed her eyes as she watched Katniss try to walk with Peeta. There was no way that they could fight the fog so they kept on yelling at the pair, encouraging them to move quicker, or as quickly as they could.

        Cameron watched nervously as Katniss struggled to move forward with Peeta strung over her shoulder. "She can't carry him and make it in time," she whispered to Mitchell.

        "What are we supposed to do about it?" Mitchell responded quietly. "If we go back into the mist, we die Cam. Like die, die."

        "We can't just leave her there to struggle," Finnick interjected.

        Cameron pursed her lips, "Newsflash, no one was talking to you."

        "You two, stay here, I'm gonna go back for them," Finnick decided, running up to Katniss and Peeta, Mags still swung over his back.

        Cameron and Mitchell changed quick glances. "You're not thinking-" Mitchell started.

        "We have to help," Cameron said, even though she felt as if her whole situation was out of her control.

        "I'm not dying for them," Mitchell insisted, wincing as a few dots of mist began to settle on his skin. He blinked, wiping the sweat from his face.

        "And you won't," Cameron replied instantly. "Promise."

        Mitchell frowned, "Fine," he said before taking off quickly, up the hill to where they saw Finnick and the others last. Cameron smiled before taking off after him. Cameron didn't like how fast the fog had gained on the group as it was about ten feet away from the others.