3. proposal

[the hunger games series: catching fire]➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

        Cameron couldn't get herself to fall asleep for the past week, not that she was ever particularly good at getting herself to fall asleep in the first past. But it was even worse after the announcement of the quarter quell. Mitchell kept telling her there was nothing to worry about, that it was a slim chance that the two of them would be reaped again. She wished he would stop lying about that.

It was a 50/50 chance for both of them, as there were only four victors from district nine: Cameron, Wilbur, Mitchell, and an older woman named Amanda who Cameron had only interacted with once. Cameron thought she was nice, definitely not nice enough to volunteer for Cameron if she got reaped though. So if it was her name that was called, she was definitely going back into the arena.

She wasn't sure what would happen with Mitchell or Wilbur, she was terrified. Either way, one of her family was going to be in the arena, with her or without her.

Cameron abruptly sat up, looking around the darkness that consumed her room. She knew she couldn't fall asleep now, her mind was racing relentlessly. She blinked and lifted herself off of her bed, touching her bare feet to the cold ground. She shivered but kept walking across the wooden floor until she reached her door, swinging it open quickly.

She made her way down the stairs, each step louder than the last one. She didn't bother to look at the time, and she honestly didn't care what time it was.

"You're up late," Wilbur commented as Cameron stumbled into the kitchen.

"Oh really? I didn't notice," she said, sarcasm coating each word that she spoke. Wilbur raised his brows at her response. "Sorry," Cameron said shaking her head. "I couldn't sleep," she admitted.

Wilbur raised his small ceramic mug to his lips, "Me either," he responded.

"When's the reaping?" Cameron asked, she hadn't bothered to keep track of the time or the days at this point. She was too busy wondering if she gonna be alive next month. She gulped, awaiting Wilbur's response.

"Given it is 3 in the morning," Wilbur said gesturing to the clock on the kitchen wall. "It would be this afternoon."

Camron's mouth dropped open, "What?"

Wilbur laughed slightly, "Have you not been paying attention?" he asked her seriously. Cameron looked up at the man, his face was lined with concern.

"Of course, I've been paying attention," she lied, brushing off her mentor's worries. "Obviously I knew it was today. I pay attention." That part wasn't exactly a lie, if she wasn't trying to fall asleep she was training. Not hardcore training or anything. It was mainly shooting the bags of grain down. This time without Mitchell around because she knew he would try and distract her, or tell her not to think about it because that's all he would do at the moment.