2. return

[the hunger games series: catching fire]➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

        "You planning on sticking around?" Mitchell asked Cameron as they tried to exit the crowd, although the peacekeepers were making it very difficult to do so.

"I don't know," she answered honestly. "I don't really like to stick around in the town, but I feel like I should visit Jas. Haven't seen her in months."

"Do you want me to come with you?" he asked.

Cameron rolled her eyes lazily, "Mitch, I can go by myself," she reassured him. "I don't need a bodyguard."

"Trust me, I know," Mitch said, throwing up his hands in defense. "If anything you are my bodyguard."

Cameron raised her eyebrows. "I don't know if I like that insinuation," she noted the look that he was giving her, "But continue."

"It's just nice to have the company, Cam," Mitchell reminded.

Cameron gave a short exhale, "Fine, I'll allow you to come with me, happy?" she asked.

"Wow out of the goodness of her heart, Cameron Knight has allowed me to accompany her to Jasmine Avery's home, it's like a miracle."

Cameron scoffed, "The only miracle here is me not killing you for saying that," she hissed.

"Really, Cam, you're back to threatening me, in front of the peacekeepers," Mitchell feigned a voice of surprise. "I thought you were better than this," he expressed, as they made their way back onto the dirt road.

Jasmine's house was a little bit past the town square, in the opposite direction of Wilbur's, and now Cameron's home. Cameron's had vivid memories of sprinting down this same dirt path when she was younger, tripping over rocks and branches, scraping her knees on the dirt as she fell. But she didn't care about scraps and scratches back then, especially if she was going to Jasmine's house.

Jasmine was like her second family. If Cameron wasn't at her house, she was at Jasmine's, that didn't happen as much anymore, but before the games, that's where you could find Cameron. Now, a trip to Jasmine's house happened once in a blue moon. Cameron still loved Jasmine, she just didn't like to leave the confines of Wilbur's home. Cameron knew that Jasmine wouldn't hold a grudge against her for this, it wasn't Jasmine's style. But still, Cameron felt a twinge of guilt as she walked along that same path. She was one of the only people that had stuck with her after she won the games, one of the only people that didn't judge her for what she had to do to survive.

"Jas!" Cameron cried. It was a week after her victory and Cameron had finally found the strength to leave her parent's house. She was trying to avoid people as much as possible before her victory tour. Before she had to talk to people nonstop for two weeks straight.