7. beginning of the end

[the hunger games series: catching fire]➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

        Cameron felt a wave of relief wash over her as she was ushered off the stage by Malini. "See, that wasn't that bad, was it?" she asked.

"I need a drink," Cameron expressed. "Or five."

Malini shook her head, "Not on the night before the games you don't," she said, ushering the girl back to her seat.

Mitchell looked over at Cameron, who immediately began fixing her hair, "You said nice things about me," he pointed out, his right brow raised.

"Well, I heard you said nice things about me too," Cameron responded.

"Some kind words may have slipped out of my mouth," Mitchell admitted. "So, I'm the strongest person you know?" he asked in a light tone.

Cameron rolled her eyes, "Shut up," she huffed lightly, crossing her arms over her chest. She sank back into her chair as she hers wandered over to the two tributes who had just walked in. Any chatter in the room that was going on had been silenced. It seemed like everyone was staring at Katniss in her beautiful white gown. Peeta was outfitted in a similar manner, his white gloves and tuxedo matched his partner's dress perfectly. "Oh my god," Cameron muttered.

"There's no way," Mitchell said, his eyes wide.

Finnick was the first person to address Katniss directly, "I can't believe Cinna put you in that thing," he said, his voice carrying throughout the backstage area.

Katniss frowned, "He didn't have a choice. President Snow made him," she said defensively.

"Well, you look ridiculous," another tribute by the name of Cashmere chimed in.

Cameron rolled her eyes, knowing how cliquey some of the tributes could be. "Tell Katniss I like her dress," she whispered to Peeta as he passed by Mitchell and herself.

Peeta nodded as Katniss was pushed onto the stage by their escort Effie. Cameron watched intently as the crowd erupted into a roar of applause, signaling the beginning of Katniss's three minutes with Caesar.

"So, Katniss," Caesar spoke. "Obviously this is a very emotional night for everyone. Is there anything you'd like to say?"

Cameron could hear a slight tremble in Katniss' voice as she began to answer his question. "Only that I'm so sorry you won't get to be at my wedding," she expressed. "But I'm so glad you at least get to see me in my dress. Isn't it just, the most beautiful thing?"

Katniss began twirling around, lifting her dress sleeves into the air. Cameron gasped as a cloud of smoke appeared around the girl, a strange color flames engulfing her dress and the girl. When the smoke dissipated, Katniss was left with a sleek black dress and white sleeves that oddly resembled wings.