𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

chapter nine: popular kids lunch
1.03, pack mentality

     Spencer, Scott, and Stiles have just left the lunch line and are carrying their trays of food to one of the empty tables as Stiles whispers to Scott. "But dreams aren't memories." "Then it wasn't a dream..." Scott trails off.

Scott sets his tray on the table before taking off his backpack and sitting it on the chair next to him, Stiles repeating the gesture. Spencer sitting across from them, her backpack going on the floor. The three continue their conversation as they sit down across from each other at the table.

"Something happened last night, and I can't remember what." Scott states, Stiles looks at his friend skeptically, "What makes you so sure that Derek even has all the answers?" Stiles questions, Scott, overwhelmed, accidentally responds in a voice that is way too loud, "Because--!"

Spencer gives Scott a look, and Scott bashfully looks around before continuing his train of thought at a lower volume, "During the full moon, he wasn't changed. He was in total control while I was running around in the middle of the night, attacking some totally innocent guy." Stiles sighs, not wanting to believe that is the truth, "You don't know that."

Scott isn't convinced by his best friend's words, "I don't not know it." Scott pauses, biting his lip as he thinks for a moment before sighing in defeat, "I can't go out with Allison. I have to cancel."

"No, you're not cancelling, okay? You can't just cancel your entire life! We'll figure it out." Stiles tells him. Just then, Lydia appears behind Scott and Stiles, looking at the two curiously before slamming her lunch tray down on the table to Stiles left to get their attention. "Figure out what?" Lydia questions.

Stiles, startled by the appearance of his crush, especially considering she's choosing to sit next to them at lunch, stammers nervously "Ha... Uhh..." Seeing Stiles is unable to come up with a decent answer, Scott quickly lies to cover up the real topic of their conversation, "Just, uh, homework..." Stiles nods in agreement, "Yeah."

While Lydia is distracted by someone passing the table, Stiles leans over to whisper to Scott, "Why is she sitting with us?" Scott just gapes at Stiles and shrugs, as if to say, "I don't know!"

Suddenly, more people start to sit down at their table. An unknown boy sits at the head of the table, while Danny takes a seat on Spencer's right. Scott turns to see that Allison is sitting down on his right and smiles before moving his backpack so she can sit down "Thanks!" Allison exclaims, smiling at him.

Harley sits down across from Lydia, and he chuckles at the sight of her, causing Harley to roll her eyes good-naturedly. After a moment, he rolls his eyes himself and looks at Scott, clearly annoyed that their Werewolf-related brainstorming session has been interrupted by all of these popular kids.

He turns the other way and accidentally makes eye contact with Danny, causing him to flick his head in greeting, only for Danny to roll his eyes as though Stiles is the most tedious thing he's had to deal with all day. And looking in front of him, he sees Veronica sat beside Spencer as the two converse.

To make matters even more complicated for Scott, Spencer, and Stiles, Jackson approaches the table and stands next to the unknown kid, glaring at him intensely before ordering him away, "Get up." The unknown student groans in annoyance, "How come you never ask Danny to get up?" The student asks.

Danny, who is in the middle of eating a green apple, smirks at him, "Because I don't stare at his girlfriend's coin slot." He tells their classmate. The student gets up to move, and Jackson shoves him out of the way before taking his seat, causing Scott to scowl at Jackson's rude behavior. Before they can say anything to each other, Danny starts a conversation, "So, I hear they're saying its some type of animal attack. Probably a cougar."

"I heard mountain lion." Jackson retorts, Lydia, staring at her tray, speaks up in an annoyed tone of voice, "A cougar is a mountain lion." Jackson and Danny stare at her blankly, surprised by this answer. Lydia, realizing she's dangerously close to revealing just how smart she actually is, tries to backtrack, "...Isn't it?" Jackson raises his eyebrow and scoffs, "Who cares? The guy's probably some homeless tweaker who's gonna die anyway."

Stiles, who had started to look up the case on his phone, suddenly speaks up when he gets more information, "Actually, I just found out who it is. Check it out." Stiles pulls up a video on his phone and turns it so the others can see it. It's from a news website, and a reporter can be heard narrating the story.

"The Sheriff's department won't speculate on details of the incident but confirmed the victim, Garrison Myers, did survive the attack. Myers was taken to a local hospital where he remains in critical condition." The reporter says, Scott gasps when he recognizes the name of the man identified as the victim, "Wait, I-I-I know this guy."

Allison turns to him, "You do?" She asks him, "Yeah, when I used to take the bus, back when I lived with my dad. He was the driver." Scott tells her, Scott, Spencer, and Stiles share a pointed look before Lydia speaks up in a bored, annoyed tone of voice, "Can we talk about something slightly more fun, please? Like..." Lydia gasps when she gets an idea and turns to talk to Allison, talking right over Scott and Stiles, who is seated between them, "Oh, where are we going tomorrow night?"

Allison and Scott's brows furrow, making it clear they have no idea what she's talking about, so Lydia clarifies, "You said you and Scott were hanging out tomorrow, right?" Allison raises her eyebrows and gulps nervously, realizing exactly what Lydia's about to do and trying to keep it casual in hopes of Lydia staying out of it, "Um, we were thinking of what we were gonna do..."

Allison looks at Scott apologetically, knowing Lydia is about to invite herself and Jackson into their plans, and Stiles' eyes widen when he has the same realization. Predictably, Lydia does just that, "Well, I am not sitting home again, watching lacrosse videos, so if the four of us are hanging out, we are doing something fun."

Scott, completely stunned at this turn of events, gapes helplessly, "H-H-Hanging out? Like, the four of us?" Scott turns to Allison, who has covered up her displeasure at their plans being crashed by drinking out of her water bottle, "Do you wanna hang out?" Scott forces himself to spit out the rest of the sentence, clearly hating the idea, and Stiles, knowing this is about to be a disaster, covers his mouth with his hand to prevent himself from interjecting, "...Like, us... and them?"

Allison looks about as excited by this prospect as Scott is but clearly doesn't want to be rude to her new friend, either, so she replies in a wary voice, "Yeah! ...I guess... Sounds fun..." Jackson's annoyed expression makes it clear that the only person excited about this double date is Lydia, and he sounds extremely irritated as he raises his fork in the air to emphasize his point, "You know what else sounds fun? Stabbing myself in the face with this fork."

Lydia, annoyed by his rudeness, grabs the fork out of his hand, while Stiles, taking a drink from his own water bottle, rolls his eyes and gesticulates wildly with his hand, not liking his friend being disparaged like that. Lydia ignores Jackson and continues planning their date like he hasn't spoken, "How 'bout bowling? You love to bowl."

Stiles shoves a french fry into his mouth and tries to get Scott's attention, shaking his head wildly as if to communicate that Scott needs to put the brakes on this plan as soon as possible. Jackson scoffs in annoyance, "Yeah, with actual competition."

Spencer has just been sitting by Veronica, in their own world, "Maybe we should get out of here, before a cat fight breaks out." Veronica states, the duo stands up, "I wish you all luck on the date." Spencer says, waving to them all and her and Veronica walking away, "Bye!" Allison calls after Spencer, smiling after her. Spencer turns and smiles back.

The duo continue to walk, soon getting joined by Winter, giving her girlfriend a chaste kiss. "Ewww!" Spencer complains jokingly.

SAMANTHAS CORNER

That's the end of chapter nine, I hope you guys liked it, and if you see any mistakes in any of the chapters, please tell me! Thank you.

By my lovelies, I pray you all have a great day, or it gets better!