Vulnerable

"Doesn't your dad know that you're dating Soobin?" I ask Yeonjun while trying to calm down. I keep telling myself that I can't cause a scene here because it just won't affect my mom. This is Yeji's first time to attend this and Yuna looks like she's having fun.

"No, he doesn't really know that I'm gay" Yeonjun sighs.

"Does your parents know?" I face Soobin and he nods his head.

"They just don't know that I'm dating someone" he says.

"Now would be the perfect time to do that so Yeonjun and I don't have to get to know each other with the idea of dating" I look at Yeonjun, "No offense. You're just not my type."

"You're good" he smiles at me. At least he's kind.

"It's not easy for Yeonjun. He's the only son. His dad takes pride in him. I don't think he will be happy to know that his only son is gay" Soobin explains his reasons as to why their relationship is not out in the open.

"Well, do you want our parents to keep pushing us together? I told my mom I didn't want this yet she still did it so telling them no is not gonna help" I say.

"I'm scared" Yeonjun sits down so Soobin and I do the same.

"I understand" which I really do because I'm in the same boat but I'm at least not dating anyone.

"But why? I don't understand why you should be scared. Being gay doesn't change that you're his son. Why should anything change in your relationship just because you want to date a man instead of a woman?" I ask and I make sure I'm careful not to include myself in what I'm saying.

I know I'm preaching that he shouldn't care or be scared while I'm here going through the same thing but he doesn't need to know that. I don't want whatever our parents had in mind to move forward and the next thing you know I'm dating Yeonjun.

"But I am happy for you" I take Soobin's hand.

"You got yourself a good looking man" I wink at him and he playfully pushes me away.

"That's my boyfriend" he's acting jealous and I just laugh.

"I told you, he's not my type" I say again even though they don't know that it means I like women.

"You don't like handsome men? You're full of shit" Soobin smirks.

"That may be true because I haven't pooped today but no I don't like handsome men" I truthfully say.

He stares deep into my eyes to see if I'm lying then he backs off, "You're safe for now."

"I'm safe forever" I chuckle.

"You can't hurt me. You're like the friendly giant but cute" I add.

"So you like cute men! I'm sorry but I'm already taken and gay" he shows too much confidence.

"Sorry cute men isn't my type either."

"You're into girls" Yeonjun jokingly say. I think he said it in a joking matter but it catches me off guard that my body becomes stiff and awkward.

I clear my throat, "No."

"You are!" Soobin shouts and people are looking at us.

I cover his mouth and I'm practically on top of him, "Shut up!"

He laughs and forces my hand off his mouth, "It all makes sense now."

"Shut up. My family doesn't know anything" I sit back down to act like we're all good so people will stop staring.

"Why? Being gay doesn't change that you're their daughter" Soobin mocks what I said earlier.

Yeonjun randomly laughs so Soobin and I stop talking, "What?" We both say.