Chapter 21: Snowflakes

Chapter twenty one: Snowflakes
I cried for quite a while. Not just for Ebony, or even for Ellie. But for everything I had bottled the tears for ever since that day I was chosen as a tribute. It was the first time I'd broken. I finally stopped crying, and looked at Ebony. She seemed so peaceful. I wasn't going to make her death any better by crying over it. I reached out, and took her hand. The least I could do was to just be there for her. This simple gesture brought a smile to her face.
"Can you sing me a song?" The young girl asked weakly. "I really like music."
I hated my voice. But if Ebony wanted me to sing, then so be it. I looked around at my surroundings, wondering what song to sing. When suddenly a snowflake landed on Ebony's nose, and then I knew.

Welcome back, winter once again
You put on your warm fuzzy sweater
Coz you'll feel much better when
The snowflakes fall gently to the ground
The temperature drops, and your shivers
Freeze all the rivers around
But I keep you warm

Da da da da da da da da
Da da da da da da
Da da da da da da da da da
Da da da da daaa

If speed's a pro, inertia must be a con,
Coz the cold wind blows a precise rates
When I've got my ice skates on
If all the roads were paved
With ice that wouldn't thaw or crack
I could skate from Maine to Nebraska
Then on to Alaska, and back
Coz you keep me warn

Da da da da da da da da
Da da da da da da
Da da da da da da da da da
Da da da da daaa

Peer over the edge, can you see me
Rivulets flow from your eyes
Paint runs from your mouth like a waterfall
And your lungs crystallise
I'll travel the sub zero tundra
I'll brave glaciers and frozen lakes
And that's just the tip of the iceberg
I'll do whatever it takes to change

Farewell powdery paradise
We'd rather skate on the thinnest ice
Fingers failed us before they froze
Frostbite bit down on all our toes

Snow drifts build up and enfold us
As we wait in this winter storm
So we snuggle close in the darkness
And keep each other so warm

Ebony's grip on my hand relaxed slowly, and I gently let her go. The cannon sounded, but I stayed by the body, and watched as it was slowly covered in delicate snowflakes. It was freezing, and I was glad of my hoodie. I stayed a long time, trying to come to grips with the fact that this little girl was dead. Finally, I stood to go. As I did so, a little parachute floated gently down, and landed silently in the grass. Curiously, I picked it up, and opened it. Inside was a package. I realised I'd been sponsored. I opened the package eagerly. Inside was a golden dagger.
The gold, I realised, was gold of Africa. Ebony's country. This brought a smile to my face, and I remembered the three fingers salute of respect. I saluted Ebony, who was now almost totally covered in snow, and then I turned, and saluted the sky, thanking the people of Africa for their gift. It would be greatly appreciated.

I finally managed to drag myself away from the cornucopia, and launched myself back into the main body of the arena via the vines. I wandered around a little aimlessly, wondering what any of the other tributes were doing. My mind ran over what had happened to Ellie, which only served to deepen my dejected mood. One thing I wondered about was the fact that both Ellie and Mitch, the two Canadian tributes, had both discovered my presence when I wasn't making a noise, or out in the open. I suddenly realised that Canada must have been voted in by The Soviet to have the privilege of contact with their mentors during the arena. I sighed. As if Mitch didn't have enough going for him already.
Another cannon was heard, and I guessed that PMS had found another tribute somewhere around in the jungle. I hadn't seen anyone since I'd left the cornucopia, and I was getting very lonely. I took out a few stone spearheads and managed to snag another bird for my supply. The sun was setting by the time I'd finished, and I was extremely tired. As I was cooking the meat, the three deaths were beamed into the sky.
To my shock, I saw that it was Preston who had been the third cannon. Preston, Mitch's only ally in PMS. I wondered if Vikk had given up on me and was after Mitch now. I had been forgetting that Vikk hadn't seen me since that first morning in the arena. It was only Mitch that had seen me since then. He probably figured I wasn't worth waiting for, and started the rebellion in the team.
There was now only seven tributes remaining. Myself, the female tribute from India, and the remainder of PMS - Mitch, Vikk, Jason, Ryan, and Matt, (Nooch) whom I wanted to personally destroy in vengeance for Ebony.

A/N: song is Tip of the Iceberg by Owl City