Chapter 25: If We're Left

Chapter twenty five: If we're left
Eventually Mitch awoke, and we ate some of the birds I still had with me. The sun was just beginning to set, and it was actually a pretty beautiful sight. Mitch and I sat for a while, eating our bird meat and enjoying the peace for a nice change.
"I heard you singing again," he commented, after a while. "Whilst I was sleeping. It was nice." He gave me a smile, and I returned it, somewhat embarrassed.
"Thank you," I smiled. "I don't really like to sing in front of people."
"But you sang for Ebony," he pointed out.
"She was dying, and it was the only thing I could do for her to make her a little happier," I replied.
"So from this I'm hearing that I'd have to die to hear you sing again?" He teased me, smirking. I felt my eyes widen.
"Don't you dare die on me!" I exclaimed. He chuckled.
"So will you sing for me?" He asked again.
"No!"
"Aw, so you'll sing for Ebony, but not for me? Hurtful."
"If I didn't know you were joking I would have pushed you into the water at that comment. Leg and all."
"Abby unless you actually chopped my leg off, you couldn't get me into the water without it."
"Stop making sense," I complained.
"When you sing for me I will," he countered. I sighed. He wasn't going to let up, was he?
"What do you want me to sing?"
"I don't have a preference," he smiled, his face lighting up. I thought for a moment, then decided on a song.

Everybody's waiting
Everybody's watching
Even when you're sleeping
Keep your eyes open

The tricky thing
Is yesterday we were just children
Playing soldiers, just pretending
Dreaming dreams with happy endings

In back yards
Winning battles with our wooden swords
But now we've stepped into the cruel world
Where everybody stands to keep score
Keep your eyes open

Everybody's waiting for you to break down
Everybody's watching to see the fall out
Even when you're sleeping, sleeping
Keep your eyes open

So here you are
Two steps ahead and staying on guard
Every lesson forms a new scar
You never thought you'd make it this far

But turn around
And they've surrounded you, it's a showdown
And nobody comes to save you now
But you've got something they don't
Yeah you've got something they don't
You've just gotta keep your eyes open

Everybody's waiting for you to break down
Everybody's watching to see the fall out
Even when you're sleeping, sleeping
Keep your eyes open

Keep your feet ready, heartbeat steady
Keep your eyes open
Keep your aim locked, the night grows dark
Keep your eyes open

Everybody's waiting for you to break down
Everybody's watching to see the fall out
Even when you're sleeping, sleeping
Keep your eyes open
Keep your eyes open

It was silent for a few moments. Then Mitch leant over and pressed his lips to mine.
"That," he said, "was amazing. I know you don't love your voice, but I do." I smiled happily.
"Thank you Mitch," I replied. "It's actually really nice singing to people, I never realised it before."
"Oh," he smiled. "Well now you know can you sing for me more often?" I rolled my eyes, and laughed.
"Whatever dood." There was one thing bothering me. And that was the fact that we would never make it out of the arena together. One or both of us would have to die.
"Mitch...what will we do if we're the only ones left?" I looked up at him. His hazel eyes were filled with sadness and uncertainty.
"I don't know what will happen," he said finally. "But I can promise you this." He cupped my face in his hands, and looked me in the eyes. "I will never hurt you again. Ever. I'd rather jump in the lava river." This brought a smile to my face. He was so beautiful.
"I can promise you too, that I will never hurt you," I agreed. He nodded, his eyes looking somewhat relieved that we felt the same way. I wrapped my arms around his neck, and kissed him softly.
"Not something I ever thought I'd be doing in the arena," he murmured against my lips. We both laughed quietly, and I pulled away. "Anyway," he continued. "It's your turn to sleep. You must be ridiculously tired."
"Yeah, I am, actually," I replied, smiling a little. Mitch repositioned me so I had my head in his lap, and bent down to kiss the top of my forehead.
"Sweet dreams Abby," he whispered. I closed my eyes, and was asleep within minutes.

A/N: sorry this chapter was pretty short and terrible:) another update is coming later today xx
song is Eyes Open by Taylor Swift, and it was in The Hunger Games movie incase you didn't know. Fits this story perfectly too:)