Chapter 23: Of Guys with One Leg

Chapter 23: Of Guys with One leg

Chapter twenty three: Of Guys with one leg
The next thing I knew, I was being pulled from the water. I felt the cool air on my skin, and blinked my eyes open quickly. I began to cough, and looked up to see who had saved me, as my eyes adjusted to the light.
Mitch knelt above me, his countenance twisted into a worried frown. When he saw I was awake, relief flooded his features.
"You're alive!" He exclaimed, and pulled me close to him, hugging me tightly. I wrapped my arms around him, and buried my head in his shoulder. We stayed like that for a long time.
Finally, I pulled away, and laid down on the rock that we sat on. I looked up at him.
"How did I survive that fall?" I asked weakly. "I thought the impact with the water killed me." Mitch shook his head, smiling a little.
"No, you just passed out, that's all. You were out for about five minutes. When I pulled you out you'd stopped breathing altogether."
"Was I really out for five minutes?" I wondered. "It felt like you only pulled me out just now."
"Five minutes at least," he replied. I suddenly remembered the wound on his leg from Vikk's knife, and my eyes shot to look at it. I realised he was unable to stand.
"Mitch you can't even stand up, how the hell did you get me out of the water?" I asked, incredulously.
"It wasn't that hard," he replied, wincing a little as he looked at his wound. "I just wish it would stop bleeding." I sat up, and tore a little material off of my t-shirt. I moved over to his leg, and wrapped it tightly around it, being careful not to hurt him more than he already was.
"Thanks Abby," he said quietly. I looked up at him. His face showed genuine gratitude, amongst other emotions I couldn't decipher.
"No problem," I smiled. I then used more fabric to stop the bleeding on my own stomach and on my shoulder blade. My shoulder didn't hurt me too much, but my stomach was killing me.
"Who's cannon was it just now?" Asked Mitch, as he watched me fixing my own injuries.
"Matt's," I replied. "I got him with my sword - just chucked it straight at him." I laughed a little. "I guess throwing away a sword to PMS like that was a bit stupid, but I was kinda limited for options."
"You did the best you could," replied Mitch. "And let me just say it's no longer PMS. It's Vikk, Jason, and Ryan. PMS was when we were a team, and that ended when they killed Preston." I nodded, understanding. I finished tying the material to my injuries, and looked up at him.
"I didn't realise you were a Katniss," I smiled, gesturing to his bow. He smiled too.
"Nor did anyone else," he chuckled. "And nobody knew you were a Dauntless, with your knife
throwing. Or the crazy gymnastics skills." I laughed softly.
"Well, Yoseph Scourman tried his best." Mitch chuckled.
"That was funny," he said. "And nobody guessed I was the one that caught you training, either."
"I guess they're getting their big revelations now then," I smiled ruefully.
"I tried to keep the knives for you, but unfortunately I left them at our campsite so now Vikk has them."
"I noticed," I said, gesturing to my shoulder and stomach. Mitch sighed.
"So did I," he agreed, looking at his leg.
"What happened? You know... With Preston," I asked.
"Jason killed him after Jason, Vikk, Ryan, and Matt saw that he and I just watched you with Ebony, and didn't kill you. I bolted, otherwise they would have gotten me as well. They found me this morning, and I've been trying to dodge them all day."
"Wait you watched me then?" I asked, surprised. I hadn't noticed anybody around.
"Yeah," he said quietly. "Your voice is really beautiful." I frowned a little. I didn't think I could sing at all.
"thanks, I guess." Mitch chuckled.
"You really don't know how to take a compliment, do you."
"what do you mean?" I asked.
"this whole time I only ever wanted to help you survive, and you just refused to accept it the entire time." This brought a smile to my face.
"What can I say, I have trust issues." He laughed a little, and looked at me closely.
"So this is the last time I'm asking you..." He put out his hand towards me. "Allies?"
I took his hand, and we shook on it.
"till death do us part," I chuckled.
"Well we hope that doesn't happen," Mitch laughed.
"You know we might not have a choice," I warned.
"I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. But what are we doing now, we can't just stay here. Vikk and the others will know we're not dead because our cannons haven't sounded. They'll be back for us, and we need to be gone before they return."
"So what do you suggest?" I wondered, looking around at us. "You're currently a cripple, and I'm in no position to carry you anywhere, since I've lost so much blood."
"Well," he began, "I guess you can just look around for somewhere we can move to easily. We don't need to move far away at first, we just need shelter for the night." I snorted at the mention of shelter.
"Whatever happened to the freezing winds and snowflakes, it's hot as lava down here."
"I'd imagine the game makers happened to them," Mitch laughed, and I joined in.
"Wait a second," I frowned. "Lava... Hold on I'll be right back."

A/N: I laughed for... Like, ten minutes about the title of this chapter XD if you've read The Fault in our Stars you'll understand the reference LOL