Chapter 9: Relief

Chapter nine: Relief
The next morning, I decided that the midnight discussion with Mitch should be our secret only. It wasn't that I didn't trust Em, but I figured she had enough to think about since she had agreed to mentor me in the arena. She didn't need this on her mind as well. Besides, as Anna exclaimed in excited tones when she awoke me in the morning, today was the day of the one on one battles.
These were not the self appointed battles that decided the leadership of PMS. These were organised by the people from The Soviet. Nobody would know who they would be battling until their name was called.
I climbed wearily out of bed, wishing I had chosen any other night but last to come across Mitch. I didn't understand why he was being nice to me, and to tell the truth, it worried me a little. This made me tired and lethargic, and Em was less than impressed when she entered my room with twenty minutes until training started to find I had crawled back into bed again.
"Get out of bed woman! Immediately!" She exclaimed, using the voice of our mother. "You'll be late for school."
"I would give anything to go to school today," I groaned. Em mercilessly ripped the covers from off my person, and left me shivering.
"Maybe that will wake you up a little," she laughed. I sat up and glared at her.
"Fine," I muttered, standing up for the second time that morning. I washed hurriedly, and pulled on my clothes. "I better not be scheduled for an early fight."
"Well it will serve you right if you are," Em said. "Head straight down there when you're done, I have to go to a meeting of the mentors. I'll see you later."
"Ok, bye," I said, distractedly, as I pulled on my t-shirt. "Have fun."
"Good luck in the battles," she said, as she opened the door to leave.
"Thanks, I'll probably need it in this state of mentality." She chuckled, and closed the door.

I watched a little nervously as one of the African tributes battled Alicia, the female tribute from America.
"Are you ready?" Asked Aidan, who was sitting beside me. I nodded.
"I'm ready. Nervous, but ready to fly at someone." Aidan laughed.
"I guess that's a good thing," he said. He had already fought Preston from PMS, and unfortunately lost. Although that wasn't surprising. I watched as Alicia was finally hammered into the mat by the African guy. This fight wasn't of much consequence to me - neither of the tributes battling were particularly strong. The referee ended the fight, and sent the two off to the side. The remaining tributes waited to one side, each of us wondering who would be next. There was six of us left - myself, Mitch, Vikk, and Jason from PMS, the girl from Canada, named Ellie, and the girl from England, named Ashley. We waited in suspenseful silence. I met Mitch's eyes across the room, and suddenly hoped I would not be scheduled to fight with him. Because how could he say I didn't need to be afraid of him if he was going to fight me?
The referee returned to the centre of the ring, and consulted his clipboard.
"Mitchell Hughes and Jason Probst," he announced. I heaved a sigh of relief. Mitch shot me a relieved smile, and one look told me that he too was relieved. The thing I didn't understand was why? Perhaps it was because he knew he could beat Jason. He had battled him before to gain leadership of PMS.
As expected, Mitch won the fight. Jason, whilst perhaps a little more sturdily built than Mitch, was far less agile than him, giving him a distinct disadvantage. Besides, Jason didn't appear to have any real desire to win. He already knew he couldn't beat Mitch, so why worry about it?
Now I was nervous again. There was only three others left, one of whom I would have to fight. But which would it be?
The referee took his time. He fiddled around with his clipboard for some time, before returning to the ring.
"Ellie Gore and Ashley Marie Surcombe," he announced. The two girls looked at each other, before standing slowly and heading towards the ring. I met the eyes of Vikk, and I knew we were next. I recognised the look in his eyes, and I hoped I would be alive to walk off that mat. Vikk wouldn't let me off lightly.

A/N: Vikktoria Secret gon take u down!!! Lol