Chapter 33: Just Casually...

Chapter thirty three: Just Casually...
There was, of course, several other majorly important events in The Soviet, at which Mitch and I were unwilling, but honoured guests. Both the victory party, and the Games Highlights screening was largely uneventful. If anything is to be said about these two occurrences, I preferred the latter, simply because I could sit in the darkness of the theatre with Mitch, Em, and Jerome, and turn everything into a huge joke with them. We laughed and joked about people's facial expressions, at Mitch and I being cornier than a corncob, and even at things that weren't funny at all, simply to prevent any other unwanted emotions escaping. And then it was finally the night before we were to return to our hometowns. I had anticipated this day with mixed feelings. It had suddenly occurred to me the day before that Mitch lived in Canada. I lived in Australia. There was a small problem of about twenty six thousand kilometres between us. Or 11 thousand miles, if you ask Mitch and his Canadian/American jargon. I wouldn't be seeing him for a long time - it would be at least six months before our forced victory tour, when I would see him again, and after that, three years before I could make my decision at twenty years old and move to Canada for good. I didn't think I would survive that long with no contact with him at all, and I was dreading the moment I would have to leave him.
As I headed to my bedroom that night, Mitch caught me by the arm.
"Come with me for a sec," he said, looking at me. "I wanna tell you something." He pulled me down the corridors, and into his room, closing and locking the door behind him. He turned to look at me.
"Abby, this is really important, this room isn't monitored like the others so I can talk to you freely in here. Jerome and Em are guarding the hallway so I can tell you without interruption." He sounded urgent, and I was completely baffled as to what he was on about.
"Mitch what are you talking about, for goodness sake get on with it if it's so urgent."
"If I'd found time and opportunity, I might have told you this before, but since I didn't, I'm telling you now. Abby, I'm actually the leader of a revolution against The Soviet that we started in Canada."
"What?"
"I'm completely serious," he stated. "The revolution was ready to surface, already a world wide operation, but unfortunately, The Soviet discovered it's existence."
"How did they find out?"
"We don't really know," he replied. "But we managed to stop them destroying all our work. However, they rigged the choosing ceremony in Canada to try and get me killed off in the Hunger Games."
"But you survived," I commented. He shrugged.
"Don't ask me how it happened, but it did, and they're really angry and worried about that. The head game maker of these games was part of the revolution, which is why he announced that rule change - Jerome told him I wasn't going to kill you, and they got us out of the arena as quickly as they could before The Soviet leaders did something about it." He sighed. "Unfortunately, the head game maker didn't escape."
"Did they kill him!" I exclaimed. Mitch nodded.
"Unfortunately, Preston wasn't as fortunate as me either. He was a big part of the revolution in Arabia, his country, and he got put in the Hunger Games by a rigged choosing too. Although I have to admit he was a little strange and off during the whole time we were here for the games, I wonder if they didn't do something to him."
"Do something? What do you mean?" He shrugged, hopelessly.
"Anything. Drugged him. Altered his DNA. He just seemed off, which made me cautious of him. It never occurred to me that they might have done something like that until out of the arena, actually. Anyway, we need to get out. The train that would take us to the airport tomorrow will be blown up halfway there. If we're on that train we're screwed."
"So what do we do?" I asked.
"Jerome and Emily stole a hovercraft this morning," he replied.
"Just casually stole a hovercraft," I repeated.
"I know," Mitch smirked. "I told you this revolution was big."
"Wait a second, so Em knows about this already?" I asked. "I feel like I'm the only one who was completely oblivious to all this!"
"Jerome told Em about the operation a little after we went into the arena, apparently," explained Mitch patiently. "I would have told you in the arena, but we were obviously on candid camera the entire time. It would have been a bit awkward if I'd just announced to the population of The Soviet that I was planning to take them down.
"An earthquake would have opened up under your feet," I chuckled. Mitch laughed, and continued.
"Anyway the hovercraft will be just above the building in about ten minutes. We need to get up there as soon as we can, so we can board it and get away. Is there anything in your room that you need?" I hesitated.
"My gold knife is in there, and I want to change out of this dress." My prep team had put me in a fancy, gold and blue dress for the dinner that evening. Mitch chuckled.
"Ok, be quick, and be careful," he replied. "I'll meet you up there." I nodded wordlessly, and kissed him quickly.
"I'm surprised you're not more than a little shocked by all of this," he commented.
"I've known you for a while, you tend to sprout strange things every so often. I've gotten used to it." He laughed.
"Go on, get changed, quickly."

A/N: OOOOOOOH ITS about to get CRAZY!!!!! :D

And... I said this would be the last chapter tonight.... I lied!! There will be another one up in a few hours! And finally, you can properly understand the description of my story! This is where the Mockingjay/Divergent rebellion ideas come in! I've never written anything like this before, so hopefully I'm not tooooo bad? :P please comment guys, I really love reading comments, and I follow everyone who hearts the story!
xxx