Chapter 18: Pride

Chapter eighteen: Pride
I don't know how long I slept for, but it was definitely a better sleep than I had had the previous night. When I awoke, it was possibly about an hour before sunset. Feeling stiff from being in a tree all day, I decided to climb down and hunt a little more. Not that I was low on food at that moment, but I was envisioning a day when I wouldn't be able to get any food, and I knew I'd kick myself if I hadn't stocked up whilst I could.

Some time later, I sat with my back to a tree, after cooking and storing what I had caught in my hunting session. I had reheated and eaten some of the meat from that morning's hunt. I'd kicked out the fire, and moved upwind away from it, so as not to attract attention to myself. The tree I sat by was a big one, and I'd thought I was well hidden, since I was concealed by a bush, and my clothing camouflaged me well.
Needless to say, it came as a little surprise when I felt a hand clamp over my mouth and a strong arm wrap itself tightly around my waist. I knew it was Mitch the second he whispered in my ear.
"Where's the drink bottle? I need it back." I wrenched my mouth free of his hand.
"I'll trade you the bottle for the knives," I replied. I wanted to glare at him, but he held me too tightly facing the other way, and I couldn't see him. How had he seen me? I'd been so well hidden by the trees.
Of course he refused the trade. I took advantage of his slight preoccupation to elbow him in the stomach, in an attempt to free myself. It loosened his grip enough to allow me to twist so I could see my captor, and then we were fighting.
Although he had originally had the advantage, it was a very even battle. I found it difficult to make moves that he wouldn't anticipate, and either block or dodge, and it was frustrating. I could tell he was frustrated too, for perhaps the same reason. He tried to jump on me, and drag me to the ground, but I ducked, and rolled under, and he missed me by a hairs breadth. He turned, and caught a hold of my foot. I lost my grip on the ground as my feet went from under me, and plummeted face first to the dirt. I thought I was about to receive a free mudpack, but he caught me, and turning me over, he pinned me down by the shoulders, using the weight of my own body to prevent my arms from attacking him. He looked down at me, trying to catch his breath before continuing. He reached into my pack, and triumphantly pulled out the water bottle. All that for a stupid water bottle. I should have given it to him in the first place, and saved myself a few bruises.
"Why didn't you just snipe me?" I asked him, confused. "You've got a bow, don't you?"
"I told you," he said. "I don't want to kill you." I knew what he wanted, but I wasn't willing to admit it.
"All that for a water bottle?" I asked, incredulously. He gave me a look.
"Not quite," he replied. "I had something to prove to both of us. You know who's stronger now. This is your last chance. Next time I'll kill you."
"I'm half tempted," I said sarcastically. "But I don't need your help to survive." He sighed, and released me, standing up himself. I sat up, and examined a bruise on my knee that had been bothering me.
"Don't go near the waterfall," he said.
"Why?"
"There's... Oh, I don't know, about five people there who want you dead."
"You think I don't know that?" I asked sarcastically.
"Gees, no need to bite my head off, I'm just helping here."
"Sorry," I sighed. "You do realise I'm not the only one he wants to kill." He knew I meant Vikk.
"I know," he replied. "But I'm second his kill list. You're first." I nodded, not really paying attention. A hit to the leg had opened up the cut Vikk had given me the day before, and it was bleeding. Mitch turned to look at the forest, taking a sip from his water bottle.
"I should go," he sighed. "I've got half an hour to get back to the falls." He turned to look at me for the last time. I almost cracked. Almost.
"I don't need your help," I stated simply. "Go. You've got a team to lead."
"A team of idiots that want to kill me."
"Well you know what they say. You made the bed of nails. Now you get to lie on it. You try and make friends with the enemy, chances are you'll be caught." He glared at me. "What?" I asked.
"You make too much sense," he complained.
"Well leave me then."
"I will."
And he was gone. I watched as he headed off into the trees, not looking back. After waiting for my cut to close itself up again, I picked up my pack, and ran off in the opposite direction. I found another tree that was easy enough to climb, scaled the trunk, and settled down for the night. Although I didn't sleep until much later, I still had a lot of thinking to do.
If I was really being honest with myself, the only reason I hadn't accepted Mitch's offer to team up was I was too proud to admit to him that we would be better off working together. I knew perfectly well he wouldn't laugh at me, or anything like that. I was just too proud. I hoped my pride wouldn't cost me too much later on.

A/N: oh my gosh JUST KISS ALREADY!! Seriously!!!
hehe they're having a little pride and prejudice moment there ;) just get over yourselves guys haha