54

Soobin P.O.V

When Dad, Taehyun, and I reach Jimmy’s, I’m actually less nervous than I expected I’d be when we left the house. I don’t think Cassidy is going to stab me in the back. The bad part about that, though, is it leaves some mental space to think about Yeonjun.

And I really don’t want to do that right now.

I can just see Sunshine Diner in the distance.

I picture us eating waffle fries and talking about video games. It was maybe the best night of my life. I keep thinking that, even though I know the whole truth now.

I still don’t even know how deliberate he was. Was he just acting like that, so I’d befriend him? How much did I actually get to know him?

Dad gets out of the car, and so does Taehyun. I take a second to breathe in and out, and then I step out, too.

Time to face the music.

Inside the bar, I see Cassidy is already here, with her mum, Suzanne.

Maybe I should be worried. Now my nerves surge. If Cassidy decides, she could ruin me.

Dad approaches Cassidy and Suzanne, who are seated at a booth.

“Can I have a word?” he asks.

Suzanne nods, and the pair go upstairs.

Taehyun and I sit down in Cassidy’s booth.

I want to make sure she told her mum that we were hanging out earlier, but Taehyun is right here.

It’s kind of awkward.

“So, Cass,” says Taehyun. “I heard you two were..”

He makes the sexual finger gesture.

“Are you jealous?” she asks.

“Pfft, no. I ended things with you, remember?”

“Oh, sweetie, it’s so cute that you think that.” She pats him on the cheek. “Come on, Soobin, let’s get a drink, in private.”

I mouth the word “sorry” to Taehyun, and then follow Cassidy across the bar. A lot of people watch us. A few guys even nod approvingly at me. I feel like Little Soobie has finally stepped up and finally done good.

In their eyes, anyway.

Success is so often defined by heterosexual life-goal posts. Get a girlfriend, get married, have kids, etc.

I hate that.

We sit down in a quiet section of the bar.

“I owe you big-time,” I say, keeping my voice down so I know nobody can hear me. “Seriously, thank you. You’re a lifesaver.”

She waves a hand. “Don’t worry about it. Like I said, what are friends for?” She leans forward. “Now, tell me about this guy you’re seeing! You must be serious, if you went on a trip with him! I can’t believe you didn’t tell me.”

Again, I wish Yeonjun were just an ordinary guy.

That way I could talk to her about him.

I shrug. “He’s just a guy.”

“How’d you meet?”

“Grindr.”

She snorts. “How romantic.”

“Right?”

“Come on, dude, don’t be coy. Tell me about him! If you met on Grindr, does that mean you’re, like, hooking up?”