38

Soobin P.O.V

Yeonjun wants me to meet him at the baseball stadium at the back of his school.

I know I'm going down a dark road one that might just lead to him chained to a chair and tortured, then killed.

Or me. Or both of us.

But as long as I'm careful, we're safe.

I think.

I'm ready to go. I'm wearing a gray tank, black skinny jeans with rips in the knees, and my boots. I leave my room and walk down the hall as quietly as I can.

Nobody is around, and the house is dark. Eddie is asleep in his spot. Good.

I hear a noise, the fridge opening.

It's the worst timing in all of freaking history.

That might be a slight overreaction. But it's up there.

I pause. But as I take a step backward, my shoe squeaks.

Crap.

I really regret deciding to wear boots right now.

"Who's there?" says a voice.

I'm so relieved. It's just Taehyun. I step out from the darkness.

Taehyun features soften, and he smiles. He's wearing a white tank, and his hair is mussed. I haven't seen it this messy in ages and hadn't actually realized how long it's gotten.

When it's slicked down, it looks way shorter. This is a good look for him, though. It brings out the delicate parts of his features. I wonder if he got those from Mum.

"What are you up to?" he asks.

"I got invited to this house party, and I was thinking of going. Don't tell Dad. Seriously, you can't."

"Whoa, calm down, I won't." He leans against the open door of the fridge. "It's about time you started sneaking out; I've been doing it for years. Dad's a heavy sleeper, he won't hear the car. You want some beers?"

"Huh?"

"For the party? I could be convinced to give you a six-pack. You'll need to pay me back, though."

"Er, yeah, sure. That'd be amazing, actually."

Drinking was already part of the plan. Yeonjun said he was bringing some beers, and he asked me to Uber to the stadium instead of driving, so I could drink. Taehyun opens the fridge and hands me a six-pack.

"Thanks," I say.

"No sweat. Just remember, condoms if you hook up. Every time, you hear me?"

"Yeah, I got it."

"And don't you dare drink and drive. If you get wasted, call an Uber, or me, and I'll come pick you up. Anytime, okay?"

"Okay. Thanks. Well, see ya."

"Have fun."

I carry the beer outside, where the car I ordered is already waiting. The window slides down.

"Soobin, right?" asks the driver.

I nod and get in the car.

Yeonjun is waiting for me in the parking lot of the stadium.

He's leaning against a fence. Beside him is a six-pack of beer, a baseball bat, a black mesh bag filled with baseballs, and a tee.

I want to take a snapshot of him. American boy, in his element. I know there's a lot more than that going on with him, but that's what he looks like right now. A corn-fed golden boy.