30

Soobin P.O.V

For the first time ever, I have two separate invites for tomorrow.

The first is from Cassidy.

She’s asked me to go to a dumpling place in the city she’s heard is amazing.

After that, Yeonjun has asked me to come and watch him play baseball. I feel so lucky. I’m not sure what I did to have my life change like this but I’m really enjoying it.

All that stuff is happening tomorrow, though.

First, tonight, Dad is coming home.

It means today is weirdly hectic.

I’m really relieved he’s coming home. He’s still going to need a lot of rest, but him being home will make me feel less anxious. To me, it means he’s out of the woods.

Taehyun is gone to get him now, and they’ll be home at any minute. I thought they’d be here by the time I got back from school, but they’re still out. I hope it doesn’t mean anything has gone wrong.

Ever since I got home I’ve been cooking pasta for Dad, because it’s his favorite. There’s a bubbling pot of sauce on the stove, and the whole house smells like tomatoes and garlic. I’ve been cleaning as I go, because I know any mess will undo any goodwill I’ve built by cooking for him.

I know I don’t make it as well as he or
Taehyun do, but I thought I’d at least try. It still tastes good if you drown it in Parmesan anyway.

I stir the pot, then lean against the island and check my phone.

Cassidy’s invite was for six thirty, and Yeonjun game starts at seven. Which means I don’t have time to go to both, unless I alter one of the plans slightly. That makes me kind of nervous, though. Like I’ll piss them off by asking.

It’s not a big deal to move the plans by an hour. If I keep telling myself that, hopefully I’ll start believing it.

I open up my messages to Cassidy. My hand is shaking.

Hey, I was just wondering if we could we make it five thirty? I have plans at seven.

I’m so nervous. I know I shouldn’t be stressed over something so minor, but I can’t help it.

On top of that, I’m anxious to tell her that I have plans. Because then she’s sure to ask me what those plans are, which means I’m going to have to lie to her. I can’t tell her I’m hanging out with Choi Yeonjun, after all.

I hate lying.

It’s messy, and I’m really not good at it. Keeping a secret by omission, like what I normally do with my sexuality, and how I feel about my family, is one thing. Actual lying is way harder.

I feel like I need to create this whole elaborate story in my head about what I’m doing if she asks. I need to make sure it all fits, like it’s something I could actually be doing.

My phone buzzes.

Look at you, busy man! 5:30 actually works great for me. See you then, rock star

I find myself smiling.

I think I might be making another legit friend.

I hear a car pull into the driveway. Eddie stands up and runs over to the door. That’ll be Taehyun and Dad. Still, I peer out through the glass to make sure. I was right, it’s Taehyun in his car. Dad is sitting beside him.

I go outside. It’s cloudy today, and the sky is gray.

Dad makes his way up to me. He’s walking on his own, but every step is clearly labored. Sweat has broken out on his brow, and his teeth are clenched.

“Hey,” I say.

“Grab my bags,” he says. “They’re in the trunk.”

I don’t think he’s being mean, I think every word hurts, so he doesn’t want to waste the energy on manners.

“Sure.”

I jog down and grab his suitcase. I heave it out and bring it inside. It’s really heavy, but I’m not about to complain. No way, no sir. I wheel the suitcase to Dad’s room.

His room is the biggest in the house and is really nice. The walls are cream coloured, and the furniture is all designer.

Dad lowers himself down onto the bed, wincing in pain. Through his shirt, I can see a white pad over his stomach. Taehyun moves the covers aside and then puts them over his legs.

They look really thin. I’m surprised Dad is letting Taehyun take care of him like this. I’m sure if I tried it, he’d lose his crap at me.

“Did you make dinner?” he asks.

“I did,” I say. “It should be ready soon, if you want some.”

“I’m not up for it tonight, but we’ll eat as a family tomorrow. I need to rest. Thank you, though.”

“No problem,” I say, trying to ignore how my chest is aching. I can’t help but feel like it’s just because I made it.

“Take all the time you need.”