2

Soobin P.O.V

A cheer breaks out as soon as we step inside the bar.

I slink to the back of the crowded room and stand in the darkness. Kim goes up to my aunt first and kisses her on the cheek. Dad goes up to Grandma and starts talking to her in a low voice.

She glances at me, and my blood goes cold. I really hope they aren’t talking about me and about what I did.

Or, more accurately, about what I failed to do.

Once we were sure we weren’t being followed, Dad drove us out of the city, to a meeting spot on a quiet stretch of road. An associate met us there, waiting inside Dad’s black bulletproof Mercedes.

We swapped vehicles, then the four of us drove straight here. It’s a bar called Jimmy’s, and it’s a hangout for the city’s Chois-affiliated criminals. It’s sort of a home base for us.

I pull down on the cuff of my sleeve. Dad’s been meaning to take me shopping for a new suit, but he hasn’t found the time yet. He’s been too busy with war stuff.

Taehyun makes his way over to me. His suit fits him well, sitting snugly against his broad chest. He’s been working out even more than normal lately, and he’s freaking jacked now. Dad’s so proud. With his new body, and his hair slicked back, my brother looks way older than me.

It’s like whatever it is he wants, he wants it really bad, and he’s willing to do anything to get it. He reminds me of a jackal sometimes. Starving. Unpredictable. Deadly if needed.

Honestly, he looks right at home here. He’d be a golden boy, if my family were into that sort of thing.

My life would be a lot easier if Taehyun wasn’t so good at the family business.

“What was that?” asks Taehyun

“What was what?”

“Your mask.”

I shrug. “You know me, airheaded as usual.”

He rolls his eyes. “Come on. I know you left it on purpose.”

How does he know?

“I-”

But then he smiles. “I’m just messing with you.” His grin is toothy. Doesn’t feel right. Like he’s doing it for show. He swats my shoulder. “For real, though, don’t be so stupid next time, I can’t be the smart one and the good-looking one.”

I give him the middle finger. He’s both, and he knows it.

He’s right, there is going to be a next time. And I can’t use this same trick again. One way or another, I’m going to end up as a soldier in this war. Now that I’m seventeen, I’m considered ready to fight. To put my life on the line.

I’m expected to kill.

As far as I know, Taehyun hasn’t killed anyone yet. But he’s ready for it. He’s told me he’s looking forward to putting “one of those Chois bastards in the ground.”

I believe him.

“I’m gonna get a drink,” says Taehyun walking backward. “Want anything?”

“I’m good, thanks.”

“Suit yourself.”

He spins and walks away, wading through the crowd.

The bar is dimly lit, filled with men in dark suits and women in dark dresses, talking and drinking in low voices. A bunch of them are my family, uncles and aunties and cousins, along with members of families we’re allied to.