26

Soobin P.O.V

I stop and turn around.

I look into his eyes. He’s looking at me in such a kind, hurt way, like me doing this is really bothering him. I’m freaking him out.

“What do you want me to do?” he asks.

“I really don’t know,” I say. “I’m sorry I’m such a mess. I’m really trying to be cool, I just-”

“Just what?”

“I can’t tell you.”

I turn and walk away again, but he grabs my arm and pulls me back.

“Seriously, let me go!” I say. “It’s better for everyone.”

“First, tell me what’s going on,” he says. “I’m getting all these mixed signals from you right now.”

“You’re one to talk about mixed signals.”

“What does that mean?”

“I-”

I need to say it. I need to tell him that I know.

He watches me, and then his eyes widen a fraction. In that second, I think it hits him. He knows I’ve figured it out. He knows I’m onto him.

“Let’s find somewhere quiet,” he says.

“Okay.”

We walk down the hall. He tries the door of a classroom, but it’s locked. The next room is a men’s bathroom.

He pushes on the door. And success.

We go inside. The tiles are this really hideous shade of green. All the stalls are open, so we have privacy. I feel breathless, like my lungs are working overtime but can’t take in enough air.

He steps closer.

If it weren’t for the scheme, I’d think he’s about to kiss me.

“Talk to me, Soobin.”

“I know, all right?” I say. “I know about everything. So you can cut the act and stop looking at me like that. You don’t need to anymore.”

“Know what?”

His voice is low. Dangerous.

“I know who you are,” I say. “I know you’re a Choi. I know you know who I am, and I know you’ve been pretending to be my friend this whole time, just so I’ll tell you secrets about my family.”

He’s watching me, his features still.

“It’s true,” he finally says. “Nice work.”

I’m stumped for a second. He shrugs.

“I knew you’d figure it out; you’re too smart not to.”

“What?”

Of all the ways I pictured this confrontation going down, I never imagined this.

“I dunno, man. I mean, I figured me being so cagey about my last name would make it obvious. But, like, for the record, I gave up on that plan, like, the moment I had dinner with you. I might’ve met you because of the scheme, but after that, our friendship has been real.”

“What?”

“Yeah, I liked you too much to hurt you like that. I decided pretty early on I wasn’t going to go through with it.”