17

Soobin P.O.V

My life feels split down the middle.

On one side, it’s horrible. Dad is in a hospital, still in a coma. Apparently his recovery is going slower than they expected, so they decided to keep him under for a few more days.

I’m grateful his room is private. Apparently that’s the best money can pay for here. On his bedside table are a few bouquets of flowers. The machines beside him are constantly whirring and beeping.

When he wakes up, I’ll find out if the war is going to end or just get worse.

On the flip side, there’s my friendship with Yeonjun.

I came out to him.

I still can’t believe I did that.

Now he really knows me, in a way I’ve never let anyone know me.

My phone lights up on the table beside me.

It’s from him.

Hey. I have the house to myself all Sunday, my parents are going to some wine-tasting thing. Want to come over?

Wait, his place?

I don’t want to talk to him about my family. At least not yet, until I’m completely sure he can be trusted. But still, going to his place feels like a big step in that direction, which I’m not sure about.

Even though I like the thought of us being our own men, we aren’t. As much as I dislike it sometimes, I’m a Choi.

And he is whoever he is. It makes me doubt if I even can be friends with him if he doesn’t know who I really am.

We’re the sons of criminals. We’ll grow up to be fully-fledged members of the underworld. If we even survive that long.

At any second, either one of us could be shot and killed by a Choi. I know that for sure now.

I read his text again.

A part of me thinks I should wait a while before responding. I want him to think I’m, like, busy or something, not just waiting around for him to message me.

But he’s seen that I’ve read the message. Which means I can’t do that anymore. Once a message has been read, only an asshole doesn’t reply. I start typing.

Hey! I’d love that!

Sweet. You could come over at around twelve, if that works for you?

Sounds perfect!