46: Izzy - The waiting

When Izzy got back to school the following week, she felt lower than ever. She was embarrassed about getting so drunk at Tal's party and more so because Dom had seen her. She was also sick with worry about her mum's operation and the word 'terminal' was all she could think about. It was impossible to wrap her head around that word. On an intellectual level, she knew what it meant-her Mum would die. But on a spiritual level it was impossible to comprehend, her brain kept flicking from one horrible thought to the next. The doctors had given her mum six months to live. Six months wasn't long and even in that, they'd said there were no guarantees.

On Sunday night before school, Izzy had begged her dad to let her stay home. Though Mia and Nan had supported her, and her Dad had agreed, when they'd spoken to her Mum about it, Dana insisted Izzy go back to school. She said that stability was what Izzy needed and that her HSC results would be affected if she didn't keep up with her classmates. Izzy was beyond upset but her Mum promised to re-visit her decision, when she came out of hospital.

Izzy made it through her lessons on Monday, but she'd asked to skip swimming that afternoon and their coach had granted her permission. She really wasn't up to it. Instead, she spent the afternoon in bed watching YouTube videos on her phone. Her mum's operation was scheduled for ten o'clock the following day and Izzy did everything she could to distract herself from thinking the worst.

The next day at two o'clock, Izzy got a call from her dad to say that her Mum had come out of the operating theatre and was doing well. He said that Izzy could call her in a couple of hours after dinner. When the time came, Izzy called her mum but there was no answer. She tried again and then rang Mia.

Mia picked up immediately. 'Sorry Iz,' she said, 'we've just got back from the hospital.'

'What's happening. How's she doing?' Izzy blurted out. 'Why can't I talk to her?'

Mia sighed. 'It's not good, Iz. Mum was in a lot of pain and too weak to talk much, even to us. We thought it wasn't a good idea to put her on the phone. She needs to rest.'

Izzy breathed in deeply. 'But she's going to be, okay? Yes? I can talk to her tomorrow?'

'Yes, my sis, we hope so.' Mia responded. 'I'll call you in the morning. Please try not to worry. I know it's hard. We're all stressed.'

Izzy started crying. 'I shouldn't be here Mia. I should be at home with my family. I need you.' She was getting angry. 'How am I supposed to cope with this. I can't do this.'

Mia comforted Izzy and calmed her down. She promised they'd come and get her from school if her mum wasn't any better the following day.

The next day, as she'd promised, Mia called in the morning before breakfast to say they were heading to the hospital. She said they'd be in touch as soon as they knew what was happening. Izzy steeled herself for the day ahead, she'd have to go to class and couldn't imagine how she'd get through it. Already, she was walking around as if in a daze.

On the way to breakfast, Ms. Woodhouse called Izzy aside and let her know that the staff were aware of what was happening with her Mum and that they'd call her out of class if they heard any news. In a surprising move, her teacher leaned forward and gave her a hug. Izzy's eyes fill with tears, her teacher was notoriously unaffectionate and the gesture seemed to bring home the seriousness of what Izzy was facing.

Later that morning, Izzy was waiting outside her French class with Zara, when their teacher, mademoiselle Guzuzu pulled them both aside. She asked Zara to look after the class for a moment whilst she spoke with Izzy alone. Izzy glanced at her phone which she'd been holding onto all morning. She'd been expecting her dad or Mia to call.

As Zara turned to leave, Mademoiselle Guzuzu put a hand on Izzy's forearm. 'You'll be going home love,' she said. 'Your dads on the way. He'll be here in an hour.'

Izzy didn't know whether to be relieved or not. She bit her lip and tried not to cry.

Her teacher spoke slowly and clearly. 'I've organised for a driver to take you back to your dormitory,' she said. 'I want you to pack your things and make sure you take your laptop home with you. Your teachers are going to organise for you to do your school work from home for a while.'

Izzy glanced at her phone. There were no messages.

'Do you know how my mum is?' Izzy asked.

Mademoiselle Guzuzu shook her head. 'I don't know, Isabella, I'm sorry. I'm sure your dad will be able to tell you as soon as he's here.'

Izzy nodded her head and scuffed her shoe on the pavement. 'Should I go now?' she asked quietly, uncertain what she was exactly supposed to do.

'I think its best if you take a friend with you,' mademoiselle Guzuzu responded. 'Do you want me to ask Zara?'

Izzy nodded.

'Wait here. I'll just get her.'

Mademoiselle Guzuzu turned back towards the class, and Izzy stood outside on the pavement to wait for Zara. She felt weak for a moment and crouched down to stabalise herself.

When Zara came out, she helped Izzy to her feet and guided her by the shoulders towards the carpark, where a car was waiting for them.