24: Izzy - On the farm

As the car pulled into the driveway of Dom's home, an elegant woman dressed in jeans and a tee-shirt greeted their arrival. A cacophony of barking by two chocolate Labradors followed. The dogs bounded towards the car, throwing Attila into mayhem.

As they got closer, Tal and Cole tried desperately to contain Attila's enthusiasm in the back seat. Izzy turned round in her seat and reprimanded him. When he settled, Tal remarked on how graceful Dom's mother was. It was hard not to notice it; she looked a lot like his sister Lulu. Her long dark hair fell to the middle of her back in gentle waves, and her eyes heavy with mascara sparkled, the same midnight blue as Dom's. Her casual attire was offset by perfectly manicured hands laden heavy with diamonds and pedicured feet slotted into jeweled sandals. Of course, Dom's mother would be gorgeous.

'Look at this idyllic place,' said Tal. 'You never said you lived on a ranch; you sneaky bugger. This place is awesome!'

They pulled up underneath a large Jacaranda tree, and Izzy took in the spectacular garden. She felt a bit intimidated by the home and was suddenly shy. Dom's mother smiled at her and ushered the two girls inside. Izzy introduced her to Attila, who was sniffing bums with the two labs. The three dogs took off at a frantic pace across the lawn. Bec chuckled. 'Attila will be alright to play out here,' she said glancing at Izzy and Tal. 'Leave the bags for the boys.' She gave her son a quick hug on the way in.

'Thanks, heaps, mum.'

'What else are men for?' Bec said with a smile and a shrug.

The hallway was vast and covered in mounted photographs, mainly of people on horseback or standing on podiums. Bec showed the two girls to the guest room where they would sleep that night across the hallway from Dom and Lulu's rooms.

Lulu was away show jumping in Adelaide, leaving her room free for Cole. The guest room had an ensuite bathroom with a large shower and tiles of white Italian marble.

Bec had thoughtfully placed a large doggy bed and a bowl of water for Attila between the two beds. Izzy was relieved, she hadn't known whether to expect that Attila could sleep in the house or not. Dom had told her the place they were staying in Uki was rustic and Attila could sleep wherever, but this beautiful farmhouse was anything but rustic.

'Please make yourselves comfortable,' Bec said. 'I've got tea on the veranda when you're ready.'

The girls were gazing out the enormous sash windows over the expansive garden when Dom and Cole came into the room to drop the bags off. Cole threw himself unceremoniously on Izzy's bed. He had the good sense to hang his feet off the end, so as not to scuff the immaculate white linen covers.

'So, what are we up to?' Cole said.

Before anyone could respond, Tal's phone buzzed. Her face lit up.

'Hey people, guess what?'

'Bish is coming for New Year,' Dom said, intercepting Tal's news.

'Oh crap. You knew.'

'He just texted me,' Dom said. 'We're gonna meet up in Byron on New Year's Eve. He's only staying one night. Can you believe it? He says he's going to fly up.'

'Typical,' Tal said. 'Wouldn't be Bish if he didn't make a grand entrance.'

Izzy was the only one who didn't feel happy about the news; in fact, she felt mildly anxious. Everyone knew Tyrone 'Bishop' Hondo-grandson of the late Archbishop Hondo, tormentor of all who crossed him and Dom's erstwhile best friend.

Bish had the brains, good looks, and charisma to lead the school. Unfortunately, a minor mishap last term had seen him expelled for selling marijuana. His parent's considerable influence and the promise of a new wing of the school library hadn't been enough to save him.

Izzy thought Bish a bit of a poser, she hadn't anticipated him joining them. As it was, it had taken a while for her to feel comfortable with Cole and Dom. Izzy moved away from the window and sat on the end of her bed with her hands tucked beneath her buttocks, inwardly instructing herself to keep her nerves in check.

A shrill call from Dom's mum echoed through the hallway, and the four of them made their way to the veranda for tea and cake.

Over tea, Dom asked Tal and Izzy if they'd like to go for a ride. Izzy hadn't ridden a horse in ages, but she agreed, surprising herself.

'I'm a bit scared of horses,' Tal said. 'I might sit this one out.'

'Me too,' Cole said with a grin, though Izzy suspected his reasons had more to do with wanting to hang out with Tal, than the horses.

'I might just put some sweatpants on,' Izzy said. 'Is that alright? She stood up and thanked Bec for the tea and cakes.

'That'll be fine,' Dom nodded. 'Unless ... I can get you some of Lulu's jodhpurs and boots?' Dom stood in the doorway waiting for a response.

'That'd be great, thanks.' Izzy responded uncertainly. She stood awkwardly in the corridor waiting for Dom's return, hoping like mad, Lulu's clothes would fit her.

*

When they reached the stables, Dom introduced Izzy to his horse Bolt and Lulu's brown mare Hasseina, whom she would ride.

Izzy stroked the mare's neck, breathing in the heady scent of sweat and dander. To her relief, Lulu's clothes fitted perfectly, but Izzy tugged at her shirt to cover herself in any case. She wasn't used to wearing such tight pants.

'For you,' Dom said, handing her a riding hat.

Izzy helped Dom tack-up the horses while Tal and Cole climbed up to the top fence pole to watch them. Tal had Attila by the lead. Unfortunately, the little dog didn't seem to like the idea of Izzy on horseback and barked his head off. Izzy tried to shush him, to no avail.

'Don't stress about him,' Dom laughed. He can bark as much as he likes, the horses are used to it.

Izzy pulled herself onto Hasseina's back in one smooth leap, she had told Dom that she knew how to ride, but he seemed keen to take it slow. So, they walked down the dust road and through the farm gates, chatting amiably. When they got out into the fields, they picked up the pace to a trot, and when they both felt confident, they notched it up a gear. Before Izzy knew it, they were both galloping down the airstrip at a crazy pace.

Izzy hadn't expected Dom to allow her to sprint on Hasseina, after all, he didn't know much about her ability as a rider. It was so liberating. She hadn't felt this good in a long time.

They pulled up at the end of the airstrip.

'You're pretty good, for a girl,' Dom said laughing.

'You are so going down,' Izzy grinned, breathing in sharply. Following Dom's lead, she tugged at her horse's reins, and they turned to head back.

When they returned to the stables, it was getting dark, and the others had long since given up waiting for them. Izzy rushed to have a shower before joining everyone outside.

That night Izzy met Dom's father, Bradly. He was tall and tanned and charming and everything she'd expected him to be. The resemblance to his son was astonishing.

Dom and Cole organised the barbeque, and the girls and Bec retreated to the kitchen to prepare the salad and potatoes. To Izzy, Dom's parents seemed super relaxed. They invited them all to have a beer with them, and she even felt comfortable enough to accept.

After dinner, they all sat around the fire pit in the garden under the stars talking so late that Izzy forgot to text her Mum goodnight. She felt a pang of guilt when she saw three missed calls and a message saying:

Mum: I love you and sweet dreams.

Unfortunately, it was too late to text back.

When Tal went to shower and brush her teeth, Izzy tried to settle Attila. The little dog wanted to get into her bed with her, but Izzy was insistent he slept in his own bed, and he reluctantly obliged her, curling himself up in a tight ball in the basket between them. As Izzy lay looking at the ceiling, her excitement for the holiday grew. Tomorrow they'd be in Uki. She couldn't wait.