22: Izzy - The girl in boots

Christmas day was quiet at Izzy's place. The whole family went to church in the morning and then came home to open their presents. Izzy was pleased with her stocking, her mum had indulged her weakness for books by Irish female authors and she devoured Sally Rooney's 'Conversations with Friends' that day, saving her Maeve Binchy for the trip up North.

They'd decided to have a traditional English Christmas dinner in honour of their Gran instead of their usual prawns on the barbeque. Dana had prepared everything for the roast turkey and ham, hours earlier, and Izzy and Mia helped with the Yorkshire pudding and gravy. There was a harmony that descended over the household, everyone suspended the paralyzing fear that had gripped them for the past several months to celebrate the end of the year and the birth of Christ. The air outside was thick with humidity.

During dinner the heavens opened in a thunderstorm as bold and uncontained as the house was cozy and safe. Izzy couldn't remember ever seeing the Sydney sky so spectacularly lit up. Electricity flashed green, white, and purple, across the city skyline, energising her soul. Suddenly they were all rushing up and down stairs slamming windows shut and pulling balustrades across the decking. Izzy paused to throw her head out a window and smell the rain. The air was clean and smelled faintly of the city beyond.

Attila joined in chasing them all up and down the corridor howling at the thunder.

'Aren't you supposed to be cowering under a bed somewhere,' Izzy said laughing.

Undeterred Attila howled some more, even as the family settled down at the table for their mince pies and brandy butter.

Later that night, Izzy texted Dom to confirm their plans for the New Year. She wanted to make sure they were all on the same page and she'd packed everything she needed.

Iz: U sure bout Attila? My mum's stressing...

Dom: No problem at all. Look forward to having him!

The plan was that Dom would drive to Sydney on boxing day and stay with Cole for a night before they all headed up the coast together.

*

Izzy and Tal met up with Kath the night before they were set to go up the coast with the boys. They'd all been wanting to see the same movie and met up at Hoyts in Chatswood Westfield.

They weren't expecting to see the boys that night, but when Dom texted that they were playing pool in a pub also in Chatswood, they decided to join them for a bit. Izzy wasn't so sure she wanted to go. She was feeling self-conscious because she had a breakout on her chin which she didn't want to aggravate by covering with foundation. She convinced herself not to be so vain. The pub was only just across the way, and it wasn't often that Dom was in the city. Izzy decided she'd make the effort with him, for Em's sake and because they'd be spending the week with him.

When they arrived at the pub, Izzy soon realised both Dom and Cole had had a bit too much to drink and regretted agreeing to join them. She wanted to sit the game of pool out, but Tal insisted they play. She was trying to impress Cole.

'I'm not the best,' Izzy warned.

'C'mon, I'll show you,' Dom said, taking control. 'Don't worry. You're with the master.'

As it turned out, none of them played especially well, and the boys' constant drunken banter was getting on Izzy's nerves. Even Tal, who Izzy was starting to suspect had more than a small crush on Cole, looked annoyed.

To make things worse, halfway through the game, Dom handed Izzy the cue. 'Take my shot, Iz, I'll be back in a sec.' He then promptly disappeared in the direction of the bar.

It was Cole's turn to play at the time. He ignored what Dom was doing and lined up his cue to take the next shot.

Izzy observed a loud group of people in a corner nook of the bar. It seemed like Dom knew at least one or two of them. He was speaking with a girl from what she could make out, not someone she recognised. The girl had long blonde hair and wore a mini skirt and doc martens.

'Who's that,' Izzy asked Cole.

'Ah, just someone we met earlier,' Cole responded. He cursed as the ball he'd been lining up bounced clear of the basket. 'Dom's using her for her ID.'

Izzy wasn't sure. Dom looked cozy with the girl. She smiled an awful lot and he kept leaning towards her and touching her shoulder.

When after twenty minutes, Dom still hadn't come back to the table, and they'd long since given up on the game, the girls agreed to call it a night. After all, Izzy and Tal had to get up early for the drive.

'Make sure you guys go home soon?' Izzy pleaded with Cole. Even though they'd decided to break the drive by staying in Armidale at Dom's place, they'd still have a big drive the next day. She didn't want the trip to be messed up because the boys hadn't gotten enough sleep.

Outside the air was thick with humidity. Izzy and Tal walked Kath to the train station to see her off.

'I wish you were coming with us,' Izzy said, hugging Kath.

'Are you kidding, my dad would never let me go away on New Year's with boys,' Kath said. 'You guys have no idea how lucky you are.'

'Aww...I'll miss you!' Izzy said. Kath just squeezed Izzy's shoulders. Then she blew a kiss and Izzy and Tal watched as she disappeared through the ticket barricade.