17: Izzy - Not my type

Back at home, Izzy put the kettle on. Her Mum followed her into the kitchen pestering her for news from Windsor. Not one to be left out, Mia joined them to find out the lowdown on Cole.

Last night had been fun for sure, but too much alcohol had turned everything shadowy. Izzy needed caffeine to clear her head.

'Jane sends her regards,' Izzy said to her Mum. 'You should call her? Actually...you should get out there one day. Everyone misses you.'

Izzy's phone buzzed on the kitchen counter.

'Crap!' She didn't look long at the screen. 'It's Cole...'

'Well, answer it,' Mia said impatiently. Lately, Mia had been studying so hard for her accountancy degree, she'd started to live vicariously through her younger sister's social life.

Izzy scrunched her face at her sister. She vaguely remembered giving her number to Cole but hadn't seriously expected him to call. Reluctantly, she swiped right, answering him.

'Yes, I'm home safe. Thanks.' Izzy paused and shook her head, teeth clenched. On the other end of the line, Cole acted nonchalant but was clearly nervous. He invited Izzy out to the movies.

'Listen, thanks, Cole, but I don't think so. I appreciate the offer. Yep... No, I'm fine. I just... I don't feel it, y'know? Sorry. I'm sorry, yeah this is weird. I had fun. Yeah. Yeah, I will. See ya.'

Izzy hung up the line.

'Agghhh!!' she said, flinging the phone on the counter and sinking her face into her hands. 'Awkward!'

'What? What did he want?' her mum asked with keen interest.

Izzy looked at her, willing her not to make a fuss. 'He asked me out to the movies.'

'Oh my God! That's so awesome,' said Mia brightening up considerably. 'Hey hang on! You brushed him off?'

'Yep. I did. I don't like Cole that way.'

'But ...you said he was nice,' her mum said.

'Yes, he is nice, but not for me.'

'Is he good-looking?'

'God Muuum!'

'Well, is he?'

Izzy thought about it for a moment. Cole was a staunch looking guy with clear skin and an open face. 'Yes. I suppose so,' she responded reluctantly. 'Not my type, though.'

'What is your "type" exactly?' her mum asked curiously.

'Come off it, Ma. You're being nosy,' Izzy responded irritably.

'Darling, you don't have to be embarrassed,' her mum said, chuckling at Izzy's reaction. 'We love you. We want to know what's going on in your life.'

'Well, you just heard. Naught. Nada,' Izzy said rudely.

Her mum raised her eyebrows as if to say, "you're being a brat."

In that moment, Izzy remembered her mum was ill and changed her tune abruptly.

'Okay! So last night, Cole kissed me, and it was okay. Alright? Are you satisfied? But I don't like him like that. And now he's becoming a day student at Watford... I'll have to see him on Monday....'

'Is there someone else you're interested in?' said Mia pushing the issue.

'No,' responded Izzy warily. 'Why d'you say that?'

'Well, you just knocked back a self-described "good-looking, nice guy." I don't understand. It seems like there's something you're not telling us. Was he a bad kisser?'

Izzy was relieved to hear the kettle boiling. Ignoring Mia's question, she turned her back and fluffed about making cups of tea.

'Saved by the bell,' her mum said.

'He was bad, for sure,' Mia said, laughing. 'What? Was it sloppy or what?'

'Can you get her to back off, Ma?' Izzy pleaded.

At that moment, Atilla, the family jack Russell trotted happily into the kitchen and plopped his bum down beside the fridge. Atilla had come to them when her mum had first fallen ill as a gift from her dad to keep everyone's spirits up. The whole family adored him. He also had an uncanny knack for knowing just the right time to beg for a treat. His cute little face was all the distraction needed to get the spotlight off Izzy.

Opening the fridge, Izzy filled the mugs to the brim with milk. She handed the warm beverages she'd made round to her Mum and Mia and then turned her back again reaching into a cupboard for a liver treat.

In a lame attempt to change the topic towards safe ground, her mum asked hopefully 'How's Em and Dom? Are they still going strong?'

'Looks like it, yeah,' Izzy responded, chucking the treat in the air. With a little hop and some rapid jaw snaps, the dried liver stick disappeared down Atilla's throat. 'They're all over each other. It's super annoying.'

'Ahh, to be young and in love,' Dana said, picking up Attila in her arms and swiveling him around her head in a half dance. The little dog gazed into Dana's eyes, and Izzy could have sworn he smiled at her.

'You look like you've got all the love you need from that handsome little fella,' said Mia to her Mum. 'Dad should be jealous.'

'Don't you worry about that,' Dana said. 'There's room in my life for both of my boys and both of my girls.'