11: Izzy - Moving too fast

Em was late for her French test. It didn't matter; their teacher, Mademoiselle Guzuzu, was not one to make a fuss. Izzy took her seat at the back of the class; she heard a ping on her laptop, opened her email and speed-read a mail from Kath.

*

Kath West <katharine.west@ abbotscraig.edu.au>

To: <is.a.storm2

Subject: It's me a Kath-E

Dearest Iz(alicious),

You speak often of the 'bell'. We are very progressive here and have done away with the traditional school bell hence I'm never late for anything and have space in my not so busy calendar for musings.

My new friend, Heather (you'd like her) is away from school today so I'm eating my tofu salad in front of my computer writing to you. What a wonderful way to spend lunch. H and I usually go out to eat (add this to your list of things that are impossible at boarding school). We generally discuss our respective families; her boyfriend and my sister are main topic of conversation, and I stare at the cute coffee shop guy.

I was attempting Zara inspired hair on Friday and it was very curly and tied back .... the effect was lost on the object of my affection. I even had a windblown cheek...maybe that was an influencing factor? All in all, I think that possibly he is not that interesting or deserving of my fondness, but what can I do? It's not like Hungry Jacks where you can order an extra-large and eat till you feel sick so that you won't ever crave again.

My plan of action is to get thin (hence the tofu salad), then either one of two things will happen:

1. I will order my regular skinny flat white with almond milk, he will finally notice me in my skinny jeans, and we will hit it off

2. I will meet someone else who is equally tall and handsome

BTW, I'm not surprised to hear Em's crushing on Dom. He is one of those 'good on paper' types. I'm intrigued what does he look like these days? Does she know you have history?

I haven't seen or heard from 'he who should remain nameless' in a long time (a week at least). I sent him a lovely text last week and have received no response.

I am Kath's complete lack of interest.

We are all so worried about your mum and have you in our thoughts always. I'm glad to hear she is doing better. Please promise to call, if ever you need me?

My Sister is okay (thanks for asking) - went out on a date last night, he stayed over but the verdict this morning was "up himself". I enquired, bogan or posh? Posh was the answer.

This is all the news from me, and my lunch is almost over (Bell? What bell?)

Outtie, Love

Kath with a wim c

PS I love tofu ... I'm very glad for this fact.

*

Izzy closed her laptop smiling to herself. She was grateful to be able to share stuff with someone who wasn't at Watford.

Their French teacher was handing out paper just as, Em walked into the classroom. Izzy watched her friend walk to the back and take her chair in the desk next to her. She looked different; her cheeks were pink, and her forehead glistened. Izzy wondered if Em had studied for the test at all. As it was, Izzy had crammed in the last ten minutes before class and was finding it difficult to recall anything.

After the test was over, Izzy packed up and stood over Em's desk; she was half expecting to find her remorseful about not meeting up to study as they'd planned. There was none of that. On the contrary, Em was more upbeat than usual.

'Aced that,' she said with a sarcastic chuckle.

Izzy rolled her eyes and waited patiently for her friend to pack up her things. To her horror, Em then proceeded to spill about her hook up with Dom in a loud voice and excruciating detail. Izzy was acutely aware of prying ears. She didn't want her friend to fall victim to school gossip. 'Em, I don't need to know this stuff,' she hissed.

'Yes, you do; you're my best friend,' Em chirped. 'It's what we do; tell each other everything.'

As they left the classroom, the girls handed their test papers to the teacher.

'I'm afraid I bombed this one, Miss,' she said, showing no sign of remorse. 'Je suis desol'e.'

Mademoiselle Guzuzu scowled. 'Amelia. Ne m'oblige pas à t'envoyer en retenue.'

Em shrugged off the reprimand, and the girls left the classroom together. When they were out of earshot, she said: 'What was that about?'

'Something about detention. You're skating on thin ice.' Izzy tried to pick up the pace. They were already lagging in getting to their next class, and Em's lack of focus wasn't helping.

'Oh, but was it was sooo worth it!' Em said, stopping inconveniently in the middle of the corridor so students trying to get to their classes had to swerve around them. Em clutched Izzy by the arm. 'Iz...I'm telling you; he is so hot!' she gushed. 'I can't even begin to explain. OMG. I'm actually jealous for you...'

'I don't know what you're talking about,' Izzy said.

Em laughed. 'It's like I wish there were two of him,' she explained. 'Like a clone; one Dom for me, one for you-that way we could both be in love at the same time, and you'd know exactly how I feel right now.'

Izzy felt a bump on her shoulder. A younger boy rushed past them zig zagging through the mass of students.

'You're not in love, Em. You're just horny.' Izzy responded, tugging at her friend's arm to move her along.

'Yeah, that's probably true.' Em agreed cheerfully. 'But I could be, Iz. I'm falling hard. You're going to have to catch me if this goes pear shaped.'

'Slow down then...' Izzy pleaded. 'It's not good to give it up so easily.' The corridor was nearing empty now, and they finally picked up their pace.

'Where do you get this crappy advice from, girl?' Em said between breaths. 'You sound like my grandma.'

Izzy halted outside the door of their history class and looked at her friend.

'Well, I'm worried about you, Em,' she said. 'We all are. I think you're moving too fast. You don't even know Dom. He might not be that nice a guy, you know.'

'Lucky I'm just using him for his body then,' Em said beneath her breath, pushing past Izzy and into the classroom ending their discussion.

Their history teacher waited impatiently for the girls to sit before beginning the lesson. Izzy at least had the good grace to act apologetic for their lateness. She took her books out of her backpack and faced the front.

It occurred to Izzy, that despites Em's words about cloning Dom, her friend had seemed to want to make her jealous. All that talk about how hot he was, suddenly appeared directed towards a purpose.

Despite herself, Izzy had to admit, she was a little envious, though she wasn't certain of what exactly. Was she interested in Dom herself? It had been a long time since they'd spoken to each other, but he couldn't have changed much. She'd really liked him at one time. Izzy shook off the thought. They were just kids when they'd known each other. Perhaps it was Em's complete and unwavering confidence that she coveted?

Either way, this evolution in her friendship was unsettling. Em seemed to be racing ahead of her with everything to look forward to and the thought of being left behind, sucked.